Africa and Middle East Applying as a minority

Started by lainey234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lainey234

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been searching the internet and these forums but I can not find whether Middle Easterners are considered a minority when applying to US med schhols? Does anyone have any experience with this? All of the information I have been able to find is based on 4 ethnic groups - Black, hispanic, Indian American, and Asian/Pacific Islander. I am from Iraq, am I the only one who doesn't feel as though they fit into these categories? Some statistics offer a "Other" category for race, but most do not. It would be nice to know whether a female form the middle east counts as a URM, any thoughts?
 
No middle-eastern people are not considered under-represented minorities in medicine.
My advice to you is to apply to places where there is less diversity (small cities). That way even though you will possibly be favored even though you are not URM. Those small city medical schools can't attract URM and so to make their classes a little more diversified they will try to attract people like you as long as you have good grade etc.