Applying as early as possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys agree with the belief that applying as early as humanly possible this cycle will significantly improve your chances of getting in?

Also, when does the cycle open up?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anybody would really disagree with that statement. I'tll only be to your benefit to apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the worse your stats, the more important it is that you apply early.

Yes, the worse your stats, the more important it is that you apply early.

Although I do agree with this statement, I would say in addition, even if you have amazing stats (i.e. 35+ mcat and 3.8+sgpa/cgpa), apply early. There may be some aspect of your application that is lacking and you may not even know. For example, all the people you have proofread your personal statement may give you constructive criticism and feel your final draft is amazing. The only issue is, they are not representative of the views of an adcom. So what they may feel is great may not be so great after all. This process is so subjective and you can be rejected for the smallest issues. So to be safe, no matter how amazing you think your application is, apply early.

Applying early is not only primaries. Don't think you're safe if you submit the primary with 30 schools on the first week of June... only to get bogged down with the sheer # of secondaries later (my mistake).

If you do apply to a bunch of schools, either churn out secondaries relatively quickly, or if you're a slow writer then prioritize them.

One more thing, and I don't know if this really exists, but I've observed a couple bottlenecks along the cycle. There's a bottleneck in the primary submission where if you're submitting the primary on first couple days, the turnaround time is practically the next day. This turnaround time turns to weeks after a few days.

As for MY secondaries, I received practically all my early invites (september) from secondaries I submitted before late July. I presume this is the period where the majority of the early applicants have turned in their secondaries, and turning it much later than this leaves you in the middle of a much larger applicant stack, so to speak...