applying both DO and MD....my concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyEyesMesmerize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a concern about my secondary to Nova. In it there is a section in which they ask u to list all the osteopathic schools you applied to and all the allopathic schools you applied to. I'm afraid that by me listing all the schools I have applied to it will have them thinking i'm not serious about osteopathy. The most important factor for me in choosing a med school is location and unfortunately there arent many osteopathic schools to chose from so many of my apps are to allopathic schools. I applied to a good number of schools because my stats arent stellar either. I'm not viewing osteopathic schools as an alternative either bc there are definitely some DO schools i would chose over MD. Like i said, location is most important to me. What's everyones take on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just be honest. If they ask why you applied to both Osteopathic and allopathic schools during the interview, tell them exactly what you told us. From my experience, schools really like when you are fond of the area they are in. Talk about what the city has to offer, and that it is definitely a place where you want to establish a practice. This should more than satisfy them.
Good luck!!

I agree with DOnut..just be honest, if you are sincere they will see your true reasons for applying both...just my opinion :D SpUnKy

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I was in the same situation. Several applicants apply to both for whatever reason. Don't sweat it and like what was said previously just tell them the truth. When you are interviewed show your knowledge of osteopathic medicine so they know you aren't just using it as a fall back. Don't worry about it and good luck.

I agree with these posts, but I still have some angst about including the MD schools. I asked this question a few weeks ago and someone replied that he didn't include the MD info and they never asked.

My osteo essay says, in essence, that I want to be a DO. The way the questions are asked kind of puts you in a position to state something like that. But, if I have the other 5 MD schools that I applied to listed on the supplemental it might look a bit contradictory. I might be wrong, but I think that the majority of DO applicants are also applying to MD school. And, again I might be wrong, but I would imagine that if the applicant did not gain admission to a DO school, but got offered one at one of the MD schools that they applied to, they'd take the MD offer.

I would be happy being a DO for a lot of the reasons that I'd be happy being an MD.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to include the MD stuff.

In my Nova application I added the MD schools I applied to. I don't remember if I was asked about applying to MD schools at my Nova interview but I have to assume that many of the applicants they accept apply to MD schools as well (especially the South Floridian applicants, which I was one - you'd be surprised how many pre-meds in South Florida never heard of or know nothing about DO's despite having an osteopathic medical school in the area).

I don't know if it hurts you at all admitting that you applied to MD schools. If it does, then Nova's adcom is being unfair for punishing applicants who are only trying to increase the chances of getting accepted in a highly competitive field by applying to as many schools as they can afford. I always thought the question was unnecessary, either way. Of the secondaries I received, Nova was the only one who wanted to know which MD schools I applied to.

Does anyone know any other DO schools that ask that question?

Originally posted by DrMom

Fenrezz,

OSU asked me that question...did they not ask you?

Now that you mention it, yes they did. From what I remember they didn't ask on the secondary but one of the doctors made a comment about the number of schools I had applied to, which took me by surprise because I didnt realize they had that information.

Just be honest

I applied, interviewed, being honest (that I was applying, and interviewing, at MD schools) Nova was the only DO school that i recall being specifically asked during my interview about the status of all my applications at that time.

I was admitted, but turned down the offer.

Morale: tell the truth. It didn't hurt me.