Applying both DO and MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying for 2010-2011, to both DO and MD schools. Originally, I wanted to apply just DO since it fit with what I wanted to do (public healthy medicine, got my MPH last year) but I talked to some DOs and they said the type of medicine you do depends on you and not the school, so they just said to apply to both DO and MD.

My question is, if you apply to both, will each know that you applied to the other? I know they might ask in interviews, but when they don't would they know? I was a little worried, because I heard somewhere that both schools don't like it if you applied to the other... don't know why that matters so much.... strange.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying for 2010-2011, to both DO and MD schools. Originally, I wanted to apply just DO since it fit with what I wanted to do (public healthy medicine, got my MPH last year) but I talked to some DOs and they said the type of medicine you do depends on you and not the school, so they just said to apply to both DO and MD.

My question is, if you apply to both, will each know that you applied to the other? I know they might ask in interviews, but when they don't would they know? I was a little worried, because I heard somewhere that both schools don't like it if you applied to the other... don't know why that matters so much.... strange.

Any ideas?

I believe on applications they ask what other professional schools you applied to. It's definitely nothing to worry about--schools understand that you are applying to as many places as you can in an effort to become a physician. Most DO candidates apply to a variety of schools, both MD and DO. Apply anywhere you like, and don't stress it. :) Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked about it at interviews for both, and it wasn't an issue with either.

I think if you apply to a different line of school than they start to wonder. By different line I mean, Vet school, Dental, Nursing, etc.

nova's secondary makes you list all the schools you're applying to, with dates and where you currently are in the app process for that school (like if you have an interview scheduled). i think another school wanted just a list of names. so some do ask. i got an interview at nova, even with my extensive list of schools i applied to lol. about 60% DO and 40% MD. i think that DO schools are just really worried about being backups for those who didn't get into MD schools. as long as you clearly see the degrees as equal and you just want to be a doctor whichever way you can, you'll be fine :)

I got asked about it at both the DO school and MD school which I interviewed at. I more-or-less told them both that I saw the degrees to be equal and have seen and worked with physicians of both degrees and honestly didnt care which letters followed my name as long as I eventually got to be a physician...Waitlisted at the MD, accepted at the DO...So, it seemed to satisfy them enough.

I think NOVA was the only school that blatantly asked ... no one cares though.

I think NOVA was the only school that blatantly asked ... no one cares though.

yeah, and the fact that I applied to 10 MD and 10 DO didn't even come up in interview.

exactly. Also, no one walks into your office and asks you if you're a D.O. or an M.D. Trust me, it really doesn't matter what follows your name--just the type of physician you are matters more to your patients then where you received your training. :rolleyes:

It doesn't shine any negative light on you as an applicant to either osteopathic or allopathic adcoms. I think it may actually highlight your drive to become a physician and that you have done research to know there is NO difference between a DO and an MD. I think it shows motivation to become a doctor. Like JM192 said, it's not like you're applying to MD, DO, DVM, and RN. You want to be a doctor so apply to as many med schools as possible and be happy with any acceptance. Good luck!

If they don't care then why do they keep asking it during interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
no, there is an ongoing war between MD's and DO's that noone knows about. Its abundently evident during the interview process which is why they ask. Secretly, at night when practicing medicine stops, physicians from both backgrounds go out and egg eachother's houses. If they find out that you applied to both, your house will be next. Be carefull.

Go right ahead. I applied MD, DO and Phd and got into all three programs. You simply have to be able to give a coherent and reasonable answer if they ask why.

It may not settle well with some people but if convey the message eloquently and with tact, it will not seem to be a big deal during the interview. It may even make you look like a good catch for the school because remember: they are interviewing you as much as you are interviewing them.

:thumbup::D

If they don't care then why do they keep asking it during interviews?

Usually when asked in interviews it is merely so the school can mention something that your other schools don't have. Professors will have a general knowledge of other programs and they like to mention unique things about their program. The same happened with me on the residency interview trail as the medical school interview trail.

Examples:
1. Did you know that we are the only program you mentioned with a dedicated eating disorders center?
2. No other school on your list has a dedicated Addictions fellowship like we do. Would you like to hear more about it?

Dr. Yiot hahahahahahahahhahaah wow; you're exactly correct on your diagnosis of the D.O. / M.D. problem

LMU-DCOM asked me in my interview what schools I had applied to and where I was in the process with those. They didn't seem to care really, though it did kind of pique their interest that I didn't apply to the school I am getting my Master's at.

Dr. Yiot hahahahahahahahhahaah wow; you're exactly correct on your diagnosis of the D.O. / M.D. problem

Thank you. People don't realize how serious it really is. I have seen riots breakk out on hospital grounds.

dont' wanna beat this to death but i'm gonna concur with many of the above posters. i applied to both md and do and got in to both. decided to go with pcom in the end because of fit, curriculum, and other intangibles. i was asked during interviews, "where else have you applied?" so make sure you have a valid reason why you're doing both. and it's dang expensive when you're filling out those secondaries. i feel your pain.

applying to both REALLY shows that you REALLY want to be a physician! They look, and see that you've applied to both types of medical schools. They like it if you apply to both

By that token why not apply to every single medical school in the US.

I applied to both. One of my LORs was from a DO surgeon so MD schools knew for sure I was considering the DO path. In the real world MDs and DOs are colleagues. I had MD interviewers at DO schools, and a DO interviewer at an MD school. Like others have said, your interest in becoming a physician is what is important.