Applying both MD and DO. What are my chances?

Started by jh247843
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jh247843

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on applying next year for both MD and DO programs. I am an ORM 24 year old and I have lived in Missouri my whole life. I attended a small liberal arts college in MO for undergrad and received my degree in Biology with a 3.28 cGPA and 2.85 sGPA. I went into school with a concentration on pre-medicine, but I could never really commit to the idea academically until my senior year. I have a slight upward trend in my sGPA for undergrad (2.4 -->3.5). After I graduated from college I moved back home and got a retail management job to support myself through a medical assisting certificate program at a local community college that lasted 2 semesters. I had a 4.0 in this program, which raised my cGPA to 3.39. From this I received my RMA and moved to Columbia, MO where I began working as a full-time RMA at the University of Missouri Hospital. The first day I started here I fell in love with the medical experience. I went home and wept at how foolish I had been during undergrad, knowing that I had been lazy. This put a fire under me and I devised a plan to make my dream a reality. I contacted the biology department at Mizzou, was open about my situation, and began research with one of the biology professors. I took 18 credits of upper level biology elective courses at Mizzou and with these I raised my cGPA to 3.49 and my sGPA to 3.14 (I maintained a 4.0 GPA through all of my post-bac classes). I have 98.5 hours shadowing a radiation oncologist (MD) and 46 hours shadowing a PCP (DO). Since I began working as an RMA I have accumulated around 2100 hours in clinical work. I have 94 hours of volunteer work from my church (cleaning the facility). Since beginning research I have accumulated a little over a years worth of experience, although no publications or abstracts yet. I also used this long stretch of time to prepare for the MCAT and I just took it in March of this year, scoring a 518. I have already asked for letters of recommendation and I have 3 confirmed (MD, DO, and Mizzou Biology Ph.D.). Here are my current stats, just more organized:
cGPA: 3.49
sGPA: 3.14
MCAT: 518
ECS: 144.5 total shadowing hours (MD & DO), 94 non-clinical volunteer hours, ~2100 clinical work (as RMA), RA for 2 years during undergrad, ~100 hours volunteering at animal shelter through service fraternity during undergrad, ~1 year of research experience during post-bac.
Representation in Medicine: ORM
State of Residence: MO (Missouri)
Upward Trend?: Slight (Great if you factor in post-bac)

What are my chances of being accepted into either DO or MD schools? What schools should I seriously consider applying to? Since I'm from MO would UMKC be a good MD school to apply to? What about KCOM or the one in Kansas city for DO? Thanks so much!
 
You have good ECs, a killer MCAT, and an upward trend w/ non-lethal cGPA. I think you've got a great shot!
If I were you, I'd shoot for low/middle MD schools (UMKC et al) and the best 5 or so DO schools.
 
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats so apply to at least 8 and you should receive interviews. Include ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM, DMU-COM, MU-COM, ARCOM and NYIT-Arkansas.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Your Missouri state public schools
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have good ECs, a killer MCAT, and an upward trend w/ non-lethal cGPA. I think you've got a great shot!
If I were you, I'd shoot for low/middle MD schools (UMKC et al) and the best 5 or so DO schools.

I don't exactly feel like I have a great shot at MD schools. My sGPA of 3.14 really bothers me and I feel like even with my 518 MCAT they're going to reject me (well more like I'm scared to death that they're going to reject me). I do feel like I have a great shot at DO schools though. What makes you think I should be focusing my energy on mostly low/mid-tier MD schools and only applying to ~5 DO?
 
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats so apply to at least 8 and you should receive interviews. Include ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM, DMU-COM, MU-COM, ARCOM and NYIT-Arkansas.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Your Missouri state public schools
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hey thanks for taking the time to list all those out, I really appreciate it! Do you believe that I have a good shot at those MD schools with my stats? I feel like my 3.14 sGPA is a killer (even with my 518 MCAT).
 
I don't exactly feel like I have a great shot at MD schools. My sGPA of 3.14 really bothers me and I feel like even with my 518 MCAT they're going to reject me (well more like I'm scared to death that they're going to reject me). I do feel like I have a great shot at DO schools though. What makes you think I should be focusing my energy on mostly low/mid-tier MD schools and only applying to ~5 DO?

You don't have a lethal gpa (<3.0) is science or cumulative, and you have a stellar MCAT and ECs. You are *the* low GPA applicants that get the exception.


Based on historical data, you have a 71% chance of getting an MD acceptance with your GPA and MCAT. You have probably and 80-90% of getting a DO acceptance, so I think between 5 and 10 DO apps is plenty (you will likely get interviews at ALL the DOs you apply to with your stats).

MD route is superior to DO as far as ease of matching into a specialty, and it can be much, much cheaper. This makes me think you should focus on MD, but be ready to pick from the cream of the crop DO schools as a solid plan B. Thankfully the DO cycle runs a lot later than MD, so you can always see how many MD IIs you get before attending tons of DO interviews.
 
Apply to oklahoma state for DO. They will love the MCAT, and that you are in a neighboring state.

I think you will get into many DO, and a handful of MD if you apply broadly.
 
You don't have a lethal gpa (<3.0) is science or cumulative, and you have a stellar MCAT and ECs. You are *the* low GPA applicants that get the exception.


Based on historical data, you have a 71% chance of getting an MD acceptance with your GPA and MCAT. You have probably and 80-90% of getting a DO acceptance, so I think between 5 and 10 DO apps is plenty (you will likely get interviews at ALL the DOs you apply to with your stats).

MD route is superior to DO as far as ease of matching into a specialty, and it can be much, much cheaper. This makes me think you should focus on MD, but be ready to pick from the cream of the crop DO schools as a solid plan B. Thankfully the DO cycle runs a lot later than MD, so you can always see how many MD IIs you get before attending tons of DO interviews.
I know my sGPA isn't lethal, but I'm not really seeing any schools on MSAR that historically accept students with a ~3.1 sGPA. Doesn't the fact that I'm ORM mean that I'm also at a "disadvantage" still? I have to admit, reading your kind comments made me tear up a little bit. There have been many restless nights where my heart and head hurt, thinking about never being good enough to practice medicine.
 
Apply to oklahoma state for DO. They will love the MCAT, and that you are in a neighboring state.

I think you will get into many DO, and a handful of MD if you apply broadly.
According to MSAR, Oklahoma State considers primarily IS applicants and those with ties to Oklahoma (which I have none). Their average OOS MCAT is 516 and average GPA/sGPA are 3.90 (lowest 3.44) and 3.84 (lowest 3.36). But you think I should still apply there?
 
I know my sGPA isn't lethal, but I'm not really seeing any schools on MSAR that historically accept students with a ~3.1 sGPA. Doesn't the fact that I'm ORM mean that I'm also at a "disadvantage" still? I have to admit, reading your kind comments made me tear up a little bit. There have been many restless nights where my heart and head hurt, thinking about never being good enough to practice medicine.

Being ORM puts you at a disadvantage, yes, but it's not as bad as you'd think (https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf here's the data).
Having a low sGPA is a hindrance, but your cGPA and MCAT help to make up for it! Some schools may weed you out, but it's 100% still worth shooting high.

Look at the table and take heart! I had half of your % success rate on that table and got 5 medical school acceptances.

Your academic challenge once accepted is passing tests, and a 518 MCAT means you can pass tests. You *WILL* be accepted somewhere, and I'd even argue that you'll likely have options based on how you interview etc. I really don't think you need to reinvent the wheel.
 
According to MSAR, Oklahoma State considers primarily IS applicants and those with ties to Oklahoma (which I have none). Their average OOS MCAT is 516 and average GPA/sGPA are 3.90 (lowest 3.44) and 3.84 (lowest 3.36). But you think I should still apply there?

Ya I am a student there. I know what they like. Everyone likes a 518. In light of the merger, if you can't get into an MD school the next best options are schools like OK state, TCOM etc with residencies (or texas residency bias like TCOM has)/research.

I am OOS with zero ties to OK had a 505 and 3.89 and I am here.