Applying Derm From Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawrrd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Unfortunately got bad news that I did not match derm this year (I had fewer interviews but thought they went well so was optimistic I had a chance). I did match to a prelim year associated with a big name derm program. I was wondering if it would be foolish to try to apply again during my intern year or is it better to take a dedicated research fellowship. Research was definitely not the weak point of my app (`10+ pubs, lots of posters/abstracts) and probably weak point were my grades (Mix of honors, high pass, and pass: passes were explainable due to health issues but not sure how much programs care). If I applied during intern year I was planning to rotate early in derm, make connections with new derm department and get new LOR's. Would love any advice from anyone who's done this successfully. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately got bad news that I did not match derm this year (I had fewer interviews but thought they went well so was optimistic I had a chance). I did match to a prelim year associated with a big name derm program. I was wondering if it would be foolish to try to apply again during my intern year or is it better to take a dedicated research fellowship. Research was definitely not the weak point of my app (`10+ pubs, lots of posters/abstracts) and probably weak point were my grades (Mix of honors, high pass, and pass: passes were explainable due to health issues but not sure how much programs care). If I applied during intern year I was planning to rotate early in derm, make connections with new derm department and get new LOR's. Would love any advice from anyone who's done this successfully. Thanks!

I think the general advice is that you want to reapply with as strengthened a CV as you can.

That is typically difficult to do if you go straight from M4 to a prelim year and then reapply. I typically would only recommend that for someone with a very strong CV who "fell through the cracks"

I think if there are significant weaknesses on your application profile, it would make sense to do a dedicated research fellowship

Reactions: 1 users
I think the general advice is that you want to reapply with as strengthened a CV as you can.

That is typically difficult to do if you go straight from M4 to a prelim year and then reapply. I typically would only recommend that for someone with a very strong CV who "fell through the cracks"

I think if there are significant weaknesses on your application profile, it would make sense to do a dedicated research fellowship
my school says i fell through the cracks and they are confused. The only weakness I could think of is my grades which I am not sure was even actually a weakness. I have completed many new projects since ERAS and have made connections with new mentors and I am wondering how much help a research fellowship would do if I already had a lot of research

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, sorry this happened. I sympathize.

When I found out, I contacted my intern year institution program (also a big name derm program) on Thursday of match week and asked them to please schedule derm rotations early in the year since I didn't match.

I also was a 'fell through the cracks' case (interviews in the teens but didn't match). When it happened to me, the scramble was still in place. There was for all intents and purposes one scramble Derm spot left in the country. I ended up going there for an interview and was offered the spot just before memorial day weekend.

Fast forward to intern year. A co-intern didn't match derm. I gave her my early derm rotation since I didn't need it at that time any longer. She ended up rotating, getting some strong letters, and matched during intern year.

So, it can certainly be done. My intern year was a large program so they could in essence absorb time off needed by my co intern to rotate and interview. I would find out up front how accommodating your program can be. If they can get you early rotations (to get you a new solid letter from a big name) and can give you time off to interview, I say go for it.

So you have several things to do:
1. Contact your intern year as soon as allowed. Let them know of your situation. Try to get a derm rotation or two early in the year. Also ask if you can get an 'easy' rotation during January (when most derm interviews happen). I had scheduled a research month during January. I kept it, but didn't luckily need it to take time off for interviews.

2. be looking for a research year regardless. If you don't match, that will be your next step (unless you step away from the derm idea). If you do match, you will still need something to do during the year between intern year and your advanced spot. The exception will be if you can somehow find a spot for whatever reason that starts in July just after your intern year.

Again, sorry this happened to you. It's an awful feeling. You're in a decent spot if your intern year is at a prominent institution though. I ended up getting my spot and going on to fellowship. Fingers crossed the same will happen to you.

Reactions: 2 users
First off, sorry this happened. I sympathize.

When I found out, I contacted my intern year institution program (also a big name derm program) on Thursday of match week and asked them to please schedule derm rotations early in the year since I didn't match.

I also was a 'fell through the cracks' case (interviews in the teens but didn't match). When it happened to me, the scramble was still in place. There was for all intents and purposes one scramble Derm spot left in the country. I ended up going there for an interview and was offered the spot just before memorial day weekend.

Fast forward to intern year. A co-intern didn't match derm. I gave her my early derm rotation since I didn't need it at that time any longer. She ended up rotating, getting some strong letters, and matched during intern year.

So, it can certainly be done. My intern year was a large program so they could in essence absorb time off needed by my co intern to rotate and interview. I would find out up front how accommodating your program can be. If they can get you early rotations (to get you a new solid letter from a big name) and can give you time off to interview, I say go for it.

So you have several things to do:
1. Contact your intern year as soon as allowed. Let them know of your situation. Try to get a derm rotation or two early in the year. Also ask if you can get an 'easy' rotation during January (when most derm interviews happen). I had scheduled a research month during January. I kept it, but didn't luckily need it to take time off for interviews.

2. be looking for a research year regardless. If you don't match, that will be your next step (unless you step away from the derm idea). If you do match, you will still need something to do during the year between intern year and your advanced spot. The exception will be if you can somehow find a spot for whatever reason that starts in July just after your intern year.

Again, sorry this happened to you. It's an awful feeling. You're in a decent spot if your intern year is at a prominent institution though. I ended up getting my spot and going on to fellowship. Fingers crossed the same will happen to you.
Thank you so much for this! I'm glad it can be done. I'll definitely contact my intern year derm program when it's allowed (think it has to be after Friday). I'm really glad to hear it can be done. I think something also that was really hard this year is my school had a record number of derm apps which made all of us get less interviews/the new supplemental was tricky to navigate. I'm really hoping to match next year!

Reactions: 1 user
Just chiming in that I also matched out of intern year after not matching in MS4. Was told I slipped through the cracks as well. Doable, but difficult. Good luck!