Applying DO after MD Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam.liam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I applied to all MD schools this cycle and got waitlisted at two. So far there has been little movement off the waitlist at both schools so it seems as though I will probably not get off the lists. Will it look bad on me if I apply DO after a failed MD only cycle?

Some background: I am interested in the DO route. This is not ONLY because I did not get accepted to an MD program. I have some (limited) exposure to DO through a program I had in high school. I applied MD so I could try to stay where I currently live and not move.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply both this year

Reactions: 2 users
Stats and experiences?

I am a non-traditional student. MCAT 504, GPA 3.6, KY resident.

I have extensive research experience. I have worked as a Research Laboratory Manager full-time for 4 years since I graduated college (BS in Biology). I have MD shadowing experience and a bunch of healthcare (100s of hours)/non-healthcare volunteer experience (100s of hours) from my time in college. I participated in a DO program right after high school and was exposed to their philosophy. However, since I work full-time my volunteer experience has been limited the past 4 years (although I do have healthcare hours) and I have had no shadowing experience since college.

Hey everyone,

I applied to all MD schools this cycle and got waitlisted at two. So far there has been little movement off the waitlist at both schools so it seems as though I will probably not get off the lists. Will it look bad on me if I apply DO after a failed MD only cycle?

Some background: I am interested in the DO route. This is not ONLY because I did not get accepted to an MD program. I have some (limited) exposure to DO through a program I had in high school. I applied MD so I could try to stay where I currently live and not move.

Thanks in advance.
We know that some 90% + of our students tried the MD route first, didn't get in, were practical and decided that being a doctor was more important than the initials.

So, we don't hold it against it you.

Also, there's no way of us to know if you applied to MD schools in prior rounds. Med schools are not omniscient.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a non-traditional student. MCAT 504, GPA 3.6, KY resident.

I have extensive research experience. I have worked as a Research Laboratory Manager full-time for 4 years since I graduated college (BS in Biology). I have MD shadowing experience and a bunch of healthcare (100s of hours)/non-healthcare volunteer experience (100s of hours) from my time in college. I participated in a DO program right after high school and was exposed to their philosophy. However, since I work full-time my volunteer experience has been limited the past 4 years (although I do have healthcare hours) and I have had no shadowing experience since college.

I'd go ahead and apply broadly to DO schools this cycle. You can (re)apply to your state MD schools too if they are favorable, but I wouldn't spend much more on MD apps. I suggest you wait until August to fill out any app to see if you get off those WLs (you might!): you won't waste any money on apps and you'll still have plenty of time to submit them. In the meantime, brainstorm/pre-write/revamp your personal statement and essays; previous secondary essays don't usually change much. Make improvements to your interviewing skills too.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
No, it will not and they won't even know about your previous MD applications as long as you don't address that.

P.S. I looked at your previous responses on other threads and realized that you may have a very similar experience with me (maybe even the same residency). I am also a non-trad student who graduated from college 3+ years ago and has been working full-time in a retail store. I also took MCAT 3 times (I scored very well on my two science sections but badly on CARS for the first two tries and finally, I made 124 on my last one). Due to some personal issues, I didn't even finish my primary application for the first cycle. For my second cycle, I unwisely applied to 15 schools and was placed on one waitlist and got rejected. I scheduled an interview after the rejection and was told that I applied too late in the cycle and didnt have enough community service/ shadowing hours. I applied for a volunteer position right after that and had been doing it till two weeks ago. I only applied to 5 DO schools and 5 MD schools this time because I didn't have as much budget as I had before. Fortunately, I received 2 DO interviews and 2 MD interviews. I went to 1 DO and both MD interviews. I was accepted by an MD school and was placed on the waitlist for the other two schools ( I got rejected from the DO waitlist at the end of the cycle).
I just want to let you know that there's always hope ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
For sure apply DO. This has been talked to death on SDN, so search some threads and fully understand what you are getting in to with respect to matching, specialty options available to you, and the fact you will have to learn OMM. And you will learn it if you attend my school. Our Chairman is very strict and has no problem flunking the half hearted. Life will be much easier for you if you fully understand and accept these facts. If you want to be a neurosurgeon, maybe take that gap year. If you want primary care, FM, ER, IM, OB, or Peds, all very doable. Surgical specialties are in reach, but more difficult and require a competetive application. Anyway, i hope ir all works out for you. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
For sure apply DO. This has been talked to death on SDN, so search some threads and fully understand what you are getting in to with respect to matching, specialty options available to you, and the fact you will have to learn OMM. And you will learn it if you attend my school. Our Chairman is very strict and has no problem flunking the half hearted. Life will be much easier for you if you fully understand and accept these facts. If you want to be a neurosurgeon, maybe take that gap year. If you want primary care, FM, ER, IM, OB, or Peds, all very doable. Surgical specialties are in reach, but more difficult and require a competetive application. Anyway, i hope ir all works out for you. Good luck and best wishes!
Where does Rads stand?

One of my advisees just matched rads at an east coast university. They were in the top quarter of their class. Step 230+. Rads has become more competetive, but not crazy. Waiting to see the new charting outcomes for residency matches.
Do you happen to know the research output of the student as well?