Applying DO with no DO shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avocado toast

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a reapplicant (3.9/513) who is planning on adding 6-8 DO schools to my list of 32 MD schools this cycle. I received 2 late MD IIs last year that resulted in 2 WLs. Anyway, I have been finding conflicting information on DO schools online so I had the following questions:

1. When is it considered "late"/hurting your chances when applying DO?
2. Is it worth waiting to apply to get DO shadowing experience or should I just apply with 0 hours? To preface my clinical experience, I have 4000 hours as a medical assistant to an MD and 250 hours of hospital volunteering. My only connection to the DO world thus far is my brother who is attending DO school in NY.
3. Any insight into my school list? I am an ORM from California who is aiming for schools that don't require DO shadowing/LOR and are preferably in urban areas:
- PCOM
- AZCOM
- Western (Pomona)
- Toura (NY)
- Toura (CA)
- KCU
- CCOM
1. DO cycle is longer, you wouldn't be considered late until after Thanksgiving
2. Not having DO shadowing isn't the end of the world, if you could get a couple hours that would be nice, but I wouldn't worry if you have none
3. List looks good, I think you'll get interviews from those schools

Also, since you did get 2 II last cycle, make sure you work on your interview skills and add more low tier MD schools (if you haven't already)

Reactions: 1 users
I am a reapplicant (3.9/513) who is planning on adding 6-8 DO schools to my list of 32 MD schools this cycle. I received 2 late MD IIs last year that resulted in 2 WLs. Anyway, I have been finding conflicting information on DO schools online so I had the following questions:

1. When is it considered "late"/hurting your chances when applying DO?
2. Is it worth waiting to apply to get DO shadowing experience or should I just apply with 0 hours? To preface my clinical experience, I have 4000 hours as a medical assistant to an MD and 250 hours of hospital volunteering. My only connection to the DO world thus far is my brother who is attending DO school in NY.
3. Any insight into my school list? I am an ORM from California who is aiming for schools that don't require DO shadowing/LOR and are preferably in urban areas:
- PCOM
- AZCOM
- Western (Pomona)
- Toura (NY)
- Toura (CA)
- KCU
- CCOM
Lacking DO shadowing will not hurt you, but having it will help you.

Do you live within driving distance of Western, Touro or TUNCOM?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve got IIs so far this cycle from RVUCOM and DMUCOM with no DO shadowing/LOR

Like Goro mentioned, it is always helpful to have one but it doesn’t ruin your chances in the application process. Also keep in mind that if you plan to apply to more DO schools beyond your list, make sure they don’t require a DO LOR. However, majority of the schools just require a general physician (MD or DO) letter.

@avocado toast

I personally didn’t have any DO-specific app stuff other than a DO letter, and I had a good DO cycle two years ago.

Just anecdotal, but the DO portion of my application has gone fairly well (6 II / 9 schools) despite 0 DO shadowing and an MD LOR only.

Agree with the above posts. However, with no experience or exposure to Osteopathic medicine, plan on having a cogent explanation on why you want to be a DO and not just want to be a Doctor.

Thank you so much for the responses--I ended up scrambling and finding 2 DOs to shadow :)

Like Goro mentioned, it is always helpful to have one but it doesn’t ruin your chances in the application process. Also keep in mind that if you plan to apply to more DO schools beyond your list, make sure they don’t require a DO LOR. However, majority of the schools just require a general physician (MD or DO) letter.

@avocado toast
Most east coast programs don't require a letter from a physician at all. UNECOM, PCOM, NYCOM, the LECOM's, and RowanSOM don't. ( I triple checked.)