Applying early, August MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impressionist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply early, and I am going to submit my AMCAS in the next week so that I can verified in June. However, I'm a bit uncertain about how my MCAT will turn out (I receive the scores June 28), and so I may end up retaking the test on July 2 -- which would mean I'd have new MCAT scores around August 2.

If my first set of scores aren't as high as I would like, should I apply early and indicate I am re-taking, or should I wait until August 2 for the new scores before submitting? (In either case, I will be verified already in June)

My main concerns:

- I don't want to wait so long that I receive my secondaries late, and on top of submitting in August, it seems that secondaries take longer to arrive later on in the cycle.

- On the other hand, I don't want to get rejected pre-secondary because of subpar MCAT scores by a school that screens before sending secondaries.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apologize for the bump, but I modified my question instead of starting a new thread. Would love to have some feedback. Thanks.

Do whatever you have to to avoid ANY chances of getting pre-screened, because that just be terrible...

Schools review applications heavily in the September, you wouldn't necessarily be late. Rather have good scores than be early

From what I've gathered, having all your components done in August (mcat scores, LORs, etc) is pretty average. I mean most schools won't release LORs until August anyways, so it is more likely LORs will be holding you up, which is outside of your control anyways.