Applying early decision to an MD school, can I submit my DO applications in the meantime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepotatodog

Reaction score
I asked my school's advisor and he said that you can still be applying to DO schools while EDing to an MD school. Is this really true? I would not want to mess up my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Your advisor is clearly wrong. The AMCAS website refers to any US medical school (AMCAS and non-AMCAS) multiple times or any MD program (which would imply any MD school worldwide). Additionally regulations from multiple medical schools say similar things. You would be hard pressed to say that a DO school isnt a medical school. While the risk probability of being discovered is low, the risk impact could be enormous as in having acceptance rescinded. Please show the below to the advisor

AMCAS® FAQs (Emphasis added)
All Early Decision Program applicants accepted by a medical school must adhere to the tenets of the Early Decision Program. This includes, but is not limited to, applicants accepted to the current entering class, delayed matriculants from a previous entering class, and all other applicants who are required by the medical school to submit an Early Decision application to the current entering class.

The Early Decision Program is generally a restricted program, in that applicants may be bound by program agreements and other requirements directly from the respective medical school. To apply through the Early Decision Program, you must:
  • Apply to only one U.S. medical school by the stated deadline date (August 1 for AMCAS participating schools). You may not apply through the Early Decision Program if you have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. medical school or a M.D. degree program for the current entering class;
  • Provide the school with all required supplemental information by the stated deadline date (August 1 for AMCAS participating schools);
  • NOT submit additional application(s) (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) until:
    • receipt of an Early Decision Program rejection; or
    • receipt of a formal release from the Early Decision Program commitment; or
    • the October 1 notification deadline passes. Contact your Early Decision Program school if you have not been notified of your status by October 1.
  • Familiarize yourself and comply with the school-specific Early Decision Program policies and agreements of the program to which you were accepted, including any school-specific impacts if you decide to change programs types and apply to other medical schools.

Early Decision Program
If you would like us to consider you for our early decision program, you must apply only to UB on your AMCAS application and attend our school if accepted.

Frequently Asked Questions | Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Under ED program guidelines, you may not apply to another medical school in the United States (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) unless we do not offer you acceptance by October 1 or we release you from the ED commitment.

Early Decision
Early decision applicants to New York Medical College are not permitted to submit applications to any other medical school until an acceptance decision has been made.

Early Decision (ED) Program | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
This program is offered to applicants who are interested in applying only to SUNY Upstate's College of Medicine.
Thank you so much! This was super helpful!