"Applying early?" quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for.

The earlier you apply, the better your chances. I got that. But when people say "the earlier you apply" are they referring to your primary application? If so, is there an advantage to sending out your secondaries earlier?

thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I am aware aamcas verifies faster the earlier you submit

Members don't see this ad.

I tried the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for.

The earlier you apply, the better your chances. I got that. But when people say "the earlier you apply" are they referring to your primary application? If so, is there an advantage to sending out your secondaries earlier?

thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I am aware aamcas verifies faster the earlier you submit

You submit your primary application earlier, to get through the verification queue faster, so that you'll get secondaries sooner and invited to interview quicker, for an earlier acceptance while there are more seats available.

You submit your primary application earlier, to get through the verification queue faster, so that you'll get secondaries sooner and invited to interview quicker, for an earlier acceptance while there are more seats available.

So the sooner you turn in your secondary the more advantageous as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the sooner you turn in your secondary the more advantageous as well?

Yes and also the sooner you interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already submitted my primary but will not get MCAT score back until July 23. I would like to wait until I have my score before I submit secondaries (just to make sure its good enough). Is that a bad idea? They need to see my mcat score before they make a decision anyway, right?

I have already submitted my primary but will not get MCAT score back until July 23. I would like to wait until I have my score before I submit secondaries (just to make sure its good enough). Is that a bad idea? They need to see my mcat score before they make a decision anyway, right?

Yeah, I think your application doesn't even get transmitted to the schools until they have an MCAT score to look at. Could be wrong though...anybody know better than me and want to chime in?

I know your secondary won't be considered complete with your MCAT score, so there's no point in submitting your secondary before July 23rd.

Schools generally start reviewing you once your file is "complete"; that is, they have everything: primary, MCAT scores, LORs, secondary and secondary payment. If you are missing any of the previous, then you will not be under review for interview consideration until it's all there.

So assuming everything else is in, then yes - it is advantageous to complete your secondary sooner as that puts you in consideration for interview sooner (and usually in a smaller pool as there won't be as big as a backlog than if you are complete in, say November).

HOWEVER, do not sacrifice speed for quality. Better to spend a few more days on a well-written and thought-out secondary than to record some generic answers and send it off for the sake of being complete.

Schools generally start reviewing you once your file is "complete"; that is, they have everything: primary, MCAT scores, LORs, secondary and secondary payment. If you are missing any of the previous, then you will not be under review for interview consideration until it's all there.

So assuming everything else is in, then yes - it is advantageous to complete your secondary sooner as that puts you in consideration for interview sooner (and usually in a smaller pool as there won't be as big as a backlog than if you are complete in, say November).

Out of curiosity, it seems like common knowledge here that its best...almost imperative, to apply as early as possible. That being said, shouldn't the backlog you speak of be early on (intuitively speaking- I know this is not the case however)? Or are most people just not knowledgeable of this information or is there some other external factor I am not aware of?

Out of curiosity, it seems like common knowledge here that its best...almost imperative, to apply as early as possible. That being said, shouldn't the backlog you speak of be early on (intuitively speaking- I know this is not the case however)? Or are most people just not knowledgeable of this information or is there some other external factor I am not aware of?

You'd be surprised - most of my friends who weren't aware of SDN were filling out secondaries in September, while I was done halfway through August. It can be easy to take the SDN bubble for granted.

So, if you think there is an initial backlog - would you rather be in that one, or in the later one that has even more applicants? Either way you will be in a pool against other applicants, so which do you think would give you a better statistical shot?

Not to say the process is purely statistical, but I remember somebody mentioning that BU initially interviewed every 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 applicants they looked at and later on started selecting every 1 in 10. Adcom burnout is a very real thing and combined with increasing volume of applications later on, this can be detrimental to anybody's chances.

Additionally, if you apply earlier you don't have to worry about dealing with secondaries while school is going on or other commitments come up, which can very much be to your advantage in terms of preparing for interviews and your general sanity. And if all works out and you interview at schools early enough, you could have acceptance(s) in hand by mid-October.

Everything ready and in as soon as possible (like same day or next day). Plan ahead so you don't sacrifice quality!

I did it wrong once and then did everything same day or next day afterward.

Common knowledge on SDN does not imply common knowledge among all applicants. The sampling bias from looking at the small population of SDN is enormous.

Yeah, I think your application doesn't even get transmitted to the schools until they have an MCAT score to look at. Could be wrong though...anybody know better than me and want to chime in?

I met with the dean at an in-state school to talk about my new application. He said that if they already have one MCAT, I could still get an interview but they would wait for the new MCAT score before they decide. Maybe this is a unique situation/only for a reapplicant, so take it with a grain of salt.