Applying early to UMass?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullefect1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a pretty strong applicant (3.8+, 33+Mcat, leadership positions, 2 yrs summer research, a bunch of clinical volunteering) how much of an advantage does applying early decision effect the application process at Umass. Has anyone out there applied early to Umass? Do they give applicants a much better chance of being accepted by applying early? Or would it be better off just to apply the usual time frame?

For some backround info, I am am not sure what I would get on the MCAT and I am not claiming that I will get a 33+. I am just using this as a hypothetical situation because I would pretty much choose UMASS over all other schools, unless some sort of scholarship was provided that would outdue Umass' low tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, Bump, Bump..... There has to be some Ma residents around.

hey i didn't apply to Umass (my close friend will be going there) but as a general rule for ED - I would call up the admissions office and set up an appt with the Admissions guy/gal. In general, schools don't get a lot of ED and basically u want a pre assessement of your chances before u apply, after all ED means u cant apply anywhere else.

Obviously u really want to go there so don't hide your enthusiasm for wanting to go there, if u have a compelling reason(s) to go there, state that too.

b

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be careful in applying early decision. They probably have a fixed number of people they accept ED. Yes, you are free to reapply, but not until they answer you. I.e. should you not gain acceptance to UMass by ED, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in applying during the regular cycle.
Personally, I would just apply to all schools as early as possible. Make sure to get your references and transcripts from ALL schools early (my app got delayed by a month by a silly class I took during the summer of 1992).
Another thing to keep in mind is your preparedness for interviews. I've gone to a total of 6 interviews. I got waitlisted at the 3 schools where I interviewed first, and outright accepted to the last 3. I guess you gain exprerience as you interview. My point is that if you apply early decision, it would be hard to do your best at your first interview especially knowing that it's your only shot.
Plus, who knows? What if you like some other school better? It may be a good idea to look around. As for me, UMass is definitely my number one choice, and I am very excited to be going there.
Good luck.

Edik,
Very good point about interviews get better as they go. I do plan on apply to their summer research program so hopefully I will happen to get a faculty member on the Adcoms. I can only hope. Thanks for the Info though, and good look with UMass. Hopefully I will see you there in the future.

Apply early! It's so nice finding out in October that you're into school. If it's your top choice then you won't mind putting your other apps off in case you don't get in. Everyone I know wishes they had gone early. It's really not worth the stress and financial burden that comes with applying to 10 schools.

I don't know what the stats are for people who get in early but the average MCAT for UMass is around 32 so if you're around there you should be fine. And they usually accept about 5-7 people early, depending on the applicant pool.

I would seriously consider it. Talk to your premed advisor, if they have a strong connection with UMass they can probably give you a good idea of how competitive you are. You won't regret it - early is the way to go!

Do not apply early. If they like you enough to take you during early admissions, they will likely accept you early in the normal interview cycle (provided you got them your stuff early). If they don't accept you early in the cycle, at least you have a good start at any other schools that interest you and you are not at a disadvantage there.

I personally think that the line of reasoning of "I'll show them how psyched I am by applying early decision..." is not valid. The fact is they already KNOW you REALLY REALLY want to be admitted. If stinks but it is true. Take heart though, it is much nicer later in the season when you have multiple offers and
you get to pick where you will go.

I followed this advice this last year and i think it is good advice.

Best of luck!
UMass Class of 2008

fellowserv said:
Do not apply early. If they like you enough to take you during early admissions, they will likely accept you early in the normal interview cycle (provided you got them your stuff early).

Can't speak specifically on umass, but I know that some schools do give a nice boost to ED applicants. I've heard of plenty of people with 3.6/26 type numbers getting into my state school ED while people with slightly higher numbers get waitlisted in the regular cycle. I'm sure each state's school is different though

Good point meananderson. I can only speak for UMass. I had heard that UMass only lets in 3-8 people during early decision. In fact, I think they tend to hold back about giving early offers of admissions during the Fall, but they do happen. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is getting admitted. From what I can tell, applying early decision doesn't have a significant affect on getting admitted at UMass. I do think though that getting your application in early DOES help a lot at UMass and elsewhere.

fellowserv said:
Good point meananderson. I can only speak for UMass. I had heard that UMass only lets in 3-8 people during early decision. In fact, I think they tend to hold back about giving early offers of admissions during the Fall, but they do happen. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is getting admitted. From what I can tell, applying early decision doesn't have a significant affect on getting admitted at UMass. I do think though that getting your application in early DOES help a lot at UMass and elsewhere.

Thank you.

I hadn't seen this thread before, but I was told that for the class of 2007, there were only like 8 people who applied ED, and 7 of them got in.

umass rower said:
I hadn't seen this thread before, but I was told that for the class of 2007, there were only like 8 people who applied ED, and 7 of them got in.

Really, that pretty amazing. Do you know if these were mostly super applicants, above average, or just average?

Ditto on the call and ask. There is a new director of admissions this year. They will tell you whether it is wise to apply early given your stats and background.

Umass rower is partly correct. The class of 2007 had 8 people INTERVIEW, and 7 got in. I don't know how many people applied but did not get interviews (I think it was around 15 or so).

It can't hurt to apply early. The worst that can happen is that they defer you to the regular applicant pool.

Those stats which you describe will get you into almost anywhere.

I think that you will get into UMASS if you apply during their regular cycle. You will have the same opportunities as someone who got in early decision, so there is no clear benefit of applying early decision unless you are absolutely positive that you would not attend another school.

Be careful about this. There are some amazing private schools out there that will almost match UMASS in terms of cost if they really want you.

Would you really turn down Harvard for UMASS? I know people who have, but you need to determine that for yourself before you leap into an early decision committment.