Applying early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was talking to some of my pre-med friends and they say that applying early is not always a good thing because they say the schools reserve a certain percentage for late applications. Meaning they would only take a certain percent for early applicants and a certain percent for late applicants. Therefore, applying early is not really helpful or to one's benefit since schools reserves equal spots for everyone that wants to apply. Is this true? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i have never, ever heard this. everyone i have spoken to about this--med students, residents, premed advisors--has strongly recommended getting your app in as early as possible. admissions at most schools are on a rolling basis so the earlier you get your app in, the better. some schools try to fill their classes by christmas.

Like sandflea, I have never heard of this process really being used. I think for schools that don't have rolling admissions, they may work like this, but in general, it is to your best advantage to get your application in early.

Most schools do have rolling admissions, as mentioned before... Which means if you are what they consider "good enough," they take you right then and there... They keep doing this until they fill up all the spots. Applying late puts you at an obvious disadvantage.