Applying Early?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollista

*The Ohio State c/o 2019!*
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I've been a lurker for a while but not an often, actually maybe even never poster!!
Sooooo just wanted to hear everyone/anyone's thoughts on applying early, like really early! I can post my "stats" later as I am a little short for time now..but I'm wondering if next summer is at all a possibility of applying, even if it's just for practice or for the hell of it...
So here's just the gist of it, by next summer I will have completed well over 3,000 hours of paid experience working as a vet tech at an equine hospital, hoping to get at least some small animal under my belt by then... I have a endless hours of general animal experience (not vet), large and small and exotics...as for school right now I have a 3.64..science GPA is damn close to a 4.0, not exactly sure what it comes out too. I haven't done GREs yet, but summer I hope to have (and obviously if I attempt to apply I will have). I have taken Principles of Animal Science, Animal Nutrition, Applied Animal Ethics, Animal Anatomy and Physiology, Human Physio (just so ya know the ones aside from gen pre-reqs) Over 100 hours as an Active member in Pre-Vet club. Current school is Los Angeles Pierce College and Cal Lutheran University (Pierce college is a Community college but it has an excellent reputation for its pre-vet program, that's why I'm supplementing with it). Currently taking 23 semester units...while holding a job of 16 hours a week. I will have excellent LOR from multiple vets and profs w PhD...lol lets just say all of them really know me well and love me (that sounds so bad I know but to get the point across in a short time i had to say it...) and and I work my f***king ***** off for all of them!! Lol please dont judge I swear I'm not a conceited b*tch!! But this speed writing is really not helping my case!! ;)

Ok blah blah blah... So the big thing is if I apply in the summer of 2013 I will have not started on my O-chems yet... So basically my question is would any vet school accept me or even consider me with out those started? Even if I am like currently enrolled it in? Do they give early acceptances under the condition that I complete and get As in o-chem?
I know For UC Davis (dreammmmm school) all pre-reqs have to be completed....so I really want to go to Davis (CA res) so idk if I would even try to apply early to anywhere else with out giving Davis a chance...but maybe it's just good practice?

Sorry I can't fill you in on all the classes I have done and that stuff but O chem is obviously what will take me the longest...I just am a non-trad going back to school at 23 (I know I know, still very young) but I just want to get to vet school as fast as possible...I don't want to wait and apply to 2014 to then not start until 2015= class of 2019.
Would it hurt against me to apply for class of 2018? I Know I sound stupid bc it's one freaking year who cares, but then again it's one year why not try?? Anyways I'm not looking for a bunch of criticism of what I have done blah blah, just kind of general info if ya got any! Again sorry for sounding all up on my high horse..yippity yippity hahaha I re read what I wrote and am totally embarrassed, so sorry...Hopefully I find time to post more so you guys get to know me a little better!! :p

I APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP!!! And I can't tell you how often you all help me (as a lurker) you all are so great and kind and helpful and I appreciate all of you, sooo many of my questions have been answered just reading! There as so many brilliant minds in here and so many future brilliant vets!!

=) Holly

Please excuse any grammar/spelling/poor sentences, iPads touch keyboard+ very small amount of time= you get what you get! Lol!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

To me there is no such thing as applying early. You can't apply any earlier than you have met all the requirements for getting into vet school. Yes, you can still be taking pre-reqs while applying but those need to be completed by usually the end of the spring semester before matriculation into vet school (this may vary by school).

As long as you have met all the pre-reqs (or are going to have them all completed by the time vet school starts) (some schools do have the condition that you can not be taking more than a couple of pre-reqs during the spring semester before matriculation), gotten adequate experiences, taken your GREs then you should be good to apply.

The real question is moreso, are you going to be ready to apply? You will have to apply while taking classes, this includes going on interviews. I applied for my first time during my senior year of undergrad and it was a juggling act to keep up with classes and the application, but I managed as do many others. It is up to you, but I honestly do not see how anyone can really apply early, you can not apply earlier than metting the requirements and you should not apply any earlier than when you are mentally prepared to apply. Hope this helps some.

Hello fellow Piercee! I went to Pierce College to fulfill most of my pre-reqs and am now a senior at UC Davis SVM :) PM me if you have any questions or need any advice.

I know For UC Davis (dreammmmm school) all pre-reqs have to be completed....so I really want to go to Davis (CA res) so idk if I would even try to apply early to anywhere else with out giving Davis a chance...but maybe it's just good practice?

This wasn't the case when I applied, but I know Davis has changed some of their admission requirements and maybe that's one of them - that you have to have everything completed upon applying. If so, I just want to warn you that if you apply just for "practice" but don't plan on accepting any admission offers because you want to apply to Davis the following year, it could seriously backfire. If you get accepted to one or more veterinary schools and decline them, it reflects poorly on you and schools may be less inclined to accept you the following year for fear that you'll "back out" again. It demonstrates a lack of readiness and commitment (even if that's not the reason), so be careful.

My suggestion is that if Davis is your #1 dream school, don't do any "practice" rounds. Just wait until you're qualified to apply to Davis and then apply that year to Davis and other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Thanks so much both of you! Ya I'm sure i will wait to apply, but I will be finishing in the spring of 2014...so what the heck do I do for a whole year and a half? I mean ya I know...apply...which is stressful, time consuming, etc. I've always been a multi-tasker and I guess over achiever so it seems like I should be doing more...but I guess it would be a good break before starting vet school...honestly I always have too much on my plate but I love it that way and do well (hence 23 units) and during like spring break I never know what to do w myself on days off of work! Lol!!

Ahhhh Piercee!!! I will pm you bc I have a lot of questions and concerns!! But no I wouldnt turn down a school to wait for Davis next year, it would be something I would have to think seriously about before applying bc if I got in somewhere...I would have to go..I mean I have a lot of schools I want to go to, but Davis is top of the list!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Wow, that whole spiel gave me a headache...
My advice - apply as early as your possibly can. The less debt you get in to the better, and adding more time/classes will not help you in any way whatsoever.

Organic chemistry and biochemistry are classes that I think every vet school requires, as well as general chemistry. Most require two semesters of orgo and at least one of biochem and gen chem, so it isn't really feasible for you to apply just yet. It sounds like your application is solid, but you really do have to take the classes, they aren't suggestions unfortunately ;)

Organic chemistry and biochemistry are classes that I think every vet school requires, as well as general chemistry. Most require two semesters of orgo and at least one of biochem and gen chem, so it isn't really feasible for you to apply just yet. It sounds like your application is solid, but you really do have to take the classes, they aren't suggestions unfortunately ;)

Just as an addendum to this. There are several schools (specifically Wisconsin and Missouri that I know of) that require orgo, but only what is required as a pre-req for biochem. At my school you just need one orgo course to take biochem, so it is possible to get away with this some places. You'd just have to take orgo 1 in the fall and then biochem and orgo 2 in the spring.

Also, a quick look at Davis' admission page and I found this:
"Course completion deadline: all prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the spring term prior to matriculation. Three-quarters of the required science courses must be completed at the time of application."

So no, all pre-reqs do not have to be completed before applying. Davis is the same as all the other schools - they just have to be done before you start vet school. You should read up here and here to be as knowledgeable as possible about Davis requirements. You can find similar pages for the other schools you're interested in.

At my school you just need one orgo course to take biochem, so it is possible to get away with this some places. You'd just have to take orgo 1 in the fall and then biochem and orgo 2 in the spring.

That's pretty sweet. At my undergrad, we had to take GC1/OC1/OC2/GC2 and then biochem, in that order. None could be taken concurrently. OP, if you can squeeze in everything on time (before you go to vet school, that is), then I think it'd be great if you could apply for the next cycle.

That's pretty sweet. At my undergrad, we had to take GC1/OC1/OC2/GC2 and then biochem, in that order. None could be taken concurrently. OP, if you can squeeze in everything on time (before you go to vet school, that is), then I think it'd be great if you could apply for the next cycle.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly recommend taking orgo 2 and biochem the same semester. Especially not if your taking physics and reproductive physiology at the same time too... That's always fun. But if you can suffer through it would be worth it!

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly recommend taking orgo 2 and biochem the same semester. Especially not if your taking physics and reproductive physiology at the same time too... That's always fun. But if you can suffer through it would be worth it!

I did this! I took orgo 2, orgo 1 lab, biochem, physics 2, physics 2 lab, calculus, and a few history classes... That was a fun semester... :laugh:

I did this! I took orgo 2, orgo 1 lab, biochem, physics 2, physics 2 lab, calculus, and a few history classes... That was a fun semester... :laugh:

Hey, I figure it's good prep for vet school right. Take that semester and multiply it by 3 haha.

Excellent advice an info! Thanks guys! And to whoever said that the classes aren't "suggestions" I obviously know that....lmao...i just wanted to apply before I completed the last few and then complete them while my application is pending/under review! thanks for all the help!! Gotta run! =)