Applying & FAP Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kweed22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My supporting documents for the FAP were just mailed and I'm pretty sure I will qualify. That being said, the websites states that it could take up to three weeks for a FAP decision to made. I had been bugging my mom for about a month to mail the tax information sooner, but since she didn't mail it until this past Saturday (5/24), I'm worried that I won't hear about a decision until mid-June. Is mid/late-June still considered "early"? My AMCAS is ready to go, but the FAP would REALLY help so I'd like to wait to send it in until I hear if I'm approved. On the other hand, I don't want to wait until late June/early July if that is considered too "late" to hurt my chances of getting interviews/acceptances.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer and, as always, good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

My mom mailed all our documents last monday (5/18), and the FAP website hasn't indicated that they've received them yet. I'm thinking it could take some time... Believe me, I'm just as antsy as you are.

uhh.. I applied for FAP this April. It took them around a week to respond that I have missing some documents. Then I realized they have a fax number and in 2 days I was notified regarding my status...

So.. I don't think they will take up the full 3 weeks (but that's just based my application) maybe you might want to fax in your application if you don't want to wait.... .... And I envy you for getting amcas application ready this early...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mailed my FAP app 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.

So you can fax all the tax/undergrad financial aid award information?

I don't remember exact dates, but applied this year and last and got confirmation in less than three weeks.

So you can fax all the tax/undergrad financial aid award information?

um.. you might want to call to make sure, I asked if I could email my missing documents and they responded they only accept through fax or regular mail....

I applied for FAP in late May last year and wasn't verified until June 23rd (I just looked in my gmail history to get the exact date). I was totally as anxious as you guys, and even though I was positive I would qualify, starting around June 15th or so I would sit at my computer every day and consider just going ahead and submitting AMCAS and somehow finding a way to cover the costs, since everyone had drilled in me the importance of "applying early." Waiting until after FAP was verified was one of the best decisions I made during the application cycle- it saved literally thousands of dollars, and people post the secondary prompts on here, so you can start on them even before your application is verified, and be right there in the first pack of applications the school looks at.

Phew...so applying by the end of June is still considered "early" then? My roommate, who is a first year med student, told me I should be fine (aka "early") as long as I apply by July, but I just wanted to check on here because she didn't need to do the FAP and SDN has hammered into my head to APPLY ON JUNE 2ND OR ELSE. It would help me out a TON since I am covering all med school application (not to mention general life expenses) for myself but on the same token, I don't want to wait a super long time and then not be considered competitive!

Also random comment to "lisasimpson87"...I remember you responding to a post I made about a year ago in regards to my father passing away a month before my MCAT. I never responded and recently re-read the message when I was cleaning up my PM inbox thing and I just wanted to say thanks. :) It was/still is rough, but it's nice to know I'm not the only pre-med to go through such a difficult life experience at such an important time. Hope you are doing well.

My supporting documents for the FAP were just mailed and I'm pretty sure I will qualify. That being said, the websites states that it could take up to three weeks for a FAP decision to made. I had been bugging my mom for about a month to mail the tax information sooner, but since she didn't mail it until this past Saturday (5/24), I'm worried that I won't hear about a decision until mid-June. Is mid/late-June still considered "early"? My AMCAS is ready to go, but the FAP would REALLY help so I'd like to wait to send it in until I hear if I'm approved. On the other hand, I don't want to wait until late June/early July if that is considered too "late" to hurt my chances of getting interviews/acceptances.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer and, as always, good luck to everyone applying!
Not particularly though it would have been great if you had taken care of this a few months ago so you could have gotten a reduced MCAT fee.

What supporting documents are required for undergraduate financial aid? How long of a window do they give you to mail in the supporting documents? I'm not at home yet so I cannot gather all these documents together.. therefore I haven't submitted the FAP application yet (I may apply next cycle but thinking about doing MCAT in January).

i mailed my supporting documents on the 14th, and got approved today! it won't be too long...

i mailed my supporting documents on the 14th, and got approved today! it won't be too long...
Did you mail it using USPS? I sent my application in, but I over-nighted it, and it should hopefully be there right now. I'm just wondering because I want to get a time frame of how long I should wait.

i dont know about you guys, but i dont really have a FAP timeline. i FAP whenever I need to.

I'm just sending mine in right now, any word on how long it'll take? What documents do you need to send in?

Anyone do FAP recently?

I faxed in my documents on Tuesday. They emailed me saying they received it the next day and I was just approved today. So, I would recommending faxing it for a quick turnaround. Mine was only 3 days.

Mailed out my documents on monday, it is now friday and I've completely been approved.