Applying for a place in Phase II that you didn't get an interview in Phase I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPharmtastic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I didn't match with a residency today, and I'm working on going through the list of programs that are available for phase II. One of the places is one of my top choices that I applied to in phase I, but didn't get an interview. What are your thoughts on reapplying in phase II to the same place? Obviously after updating/cleaning up CV & LOI more.

Members don't see this ad.

I probably wouldn't, but I guess worst case you waste your money. You never really know where you fell on their list before sending out invites...but you also don't know what they're looking for or why they rejected you initially. If you do decide to apply (or really in general going into phase II), it would be a good idea to evaluate your LOR in addition to other aspects of your application.

Might not be a bad idea. If you were close to getting enough points in the program's scoring system to get an interview, they might consider you for phase 2. Plus, they already have all your original application materials and references. If you weren't really a "borderline applicant" that was close to being considered for an interview, then they likely won't consider you for phase 2...I guess as you don't know how highly your packet scored, doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its free to apply to the same NMS code in Phase 2 as Phase 1 if they have an opening.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to phorcas there’s a link there

Hey guys,
So I didn't match with a residency today, and I'm working on going through the list of programs that are available for phase II. One of the places is one of my top choices that I applied to in phase I, but didn't get an interview. What are your thoughts on reapplying in phase II to the same place? Obviously after updating/cleaning up CV & LOI more.

Absolutely reapply to this place. I had a friend who didn't match in Phase I last year and re-applied to the same program he didn't match in during Phase II and he matched. It will show that you are really interested in the program.

Does anybody know if it is okay to apply for the same program I got an interview with for phase 1 ?

Does anybody know if it is okay to apply for the same program I got an interview with for phase 1 ?

It is not against the rules, but I would skip it and save your money. If you didn't match anywhere, that means that this site didn't rank you at all in the match, which means they determined that you were not an acceptable candidate to them.

I only applied for 3 programs for phase and I got 1 interview. So I only had one place to rank and didn’t match. Now I see them in the list of phase 2...
I don’t know what to do! Cause I have worked so hard during pharmacy school to keep a good GPA and had many leadership positions and extracurricular activities on my cv. I know I was nervous during my interview but I answered all the clinical questions correctly.

I only applied for 3 programs for phase and I got 1 interview. So I only had one place to rank and didn’t match. Now I see them in the list of phase 2...
I don’t know what to do! Cause I have worked so hard during pharmacy school to keep a good GPA and had many leadership positions and extracurricular activities on my cv. I know I was nervous during my interview but I answered all the clinical questions correctly.
If they didn't match and you didn't match it means they didn't rank you. I would highly recommend looking at other programs, it'll be a waste of your time to apply to them again

I reached out to the program director where i had my phase 1 interview, and i went ahead applied again this morning. just fyi, they won't charge you twice on programs you already paid for for phase 1.
She emailed me back and asked if i am available for phone call tomorrow at 8am.
That doesn't mean i will match there but they see you are dedicated and wont give up

Reactions: 1 user