Pharmacy residency after staffing in a hospital

Started by pharm0374
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm0374

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I’ve been working as a hospital pharmacist for about 10 years now, mostly staffing in a hospital pharmacy, with some clinical work on the inpatient floors and outpatient experience. My current position doesn’t really offer other responsibilities beyond what I have been doing, and there haven’t been any opportunities to move up over the last few years within the hospital. Even though I have my BCPS certification and the Collaborative Drug Therapy Management privilege, I still haven’t been able to land an ambulatory care job for the past year, even within the hospital organization I work for, despite networking. Every clinical job posting in my area (NYC) lists residency as a requirement; I rarely ever get a call back from the few that also list Board Certification as an alternative. Despite many people who say that experience counts for a lot, and that a smart hiring manager will look favorably upon this versus residency, I simply haven’t found that to be true. I believe the main reason is that employers/pharmacy management won’t trust someone without a residency with a more clinical role.

At this point, I know I don’t want to do staffing for the rest of my career. Even though it will look very odd, I’m seriously considering doing a residency so I can have more career options. I understand that the pay cut will suck, but I would be willing to forgo this money for a year in place of more clinical (and most likely better-paying) opportunities in the future.

That being said, does anyone have any advice about going back for a residency after staffing in a hospital for so long? Are there any specific kinds of programs (i.e., out of state, hospital type) that would be more willing to work with a non-traditional candidate? I’d appreciate any advice about applying and the general process (application, interview tips, etc) as a non-traditional candidate, as well as any other feasible career paths to a more clinical role I haven’t mentioned in this post. Thank you in advance.
 
Bump. I wonder what you ended up deciding.

It’s been a minute since I’ve set foot in inpatient but there’s no way for you to gradually move towards a more clinical role within your institution? Maybe convince a boss or superior to give you some hours in a clinical setting?
 
Bump. I wonder what you ended up deciding.

It’s been a minute since I’ve set foot in inpatient but there’s no way for you to gradually move towards a more clinical role within your institution? Maybe convince a boss or superior to give you some hours in a clinical setting?
Hi there, I ended up trying for a residency and I matched! As for your question about moving up... unfortunately, there isn't a way of moving toward a more clinical role where I work. Staffing just isn't structured that way, and only our two clinical pharmacists practice in a more "clinical setting." Furthermore, the pharmacists at my workplace (myself included), are part of a union, and our job responsibilities and what we get compensated for are defined by our contract.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there, I ended up trying for a residency and I matched! As for your question about moving up... unfortunately, there isn't a way of moving toward a more clinical role where I work. Staffing just isn't structured that way, and only our two clinical pharmacists practice in a more "clinical setting." Furthermore, the pharmacists at my workplace (myself included), are part of a union, and our job responsibilities and what we get compensated for are defined by our contract.
Congrats on matching!!!!

The explanation makes sense
 
Hi there, I ended up trying for a residency and I matched! As for your question about moving up... unfortunately, there isn't a way of moving toward a more clinical role where I work. Staffing just isn't structured that way, and only our two clinical pharmacists practice in a more "clinical setting." Furthermore, the pharmacists at my workplace (myself included), are part of a union, and our job responsibilities and what we get compensated for are defined by our contract.
I have seen this trend at large academic centers and metro areas, like yours. There isn't enough clinical work to go around for a hybrid role (this is the most common; every HCA facility is like this), so they have 2 men doing all the staffing, sometimes with people on the floors doing their verifications.
Outside of these places, I have never heard of a residency trumping a board certification and experience. Even with the federal gov., nothing wrong with a board cert.
For non-academic hospitals and government facilities, experience is better than a residency or a board cert.