Applying for a retail pharmacist position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Expedia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from pharmacy school two months ago

and waiting for my NAPLEX & MPJE results.

I live in NY so it normally takes 3 weeks to get the score.

I've been working at a small independent pharmacy for 5 years but now

I'm looking for a position in chain retail because they are not hiring a pharmacist.

so my question is what would be the best time to apply?

1) Right now (but can i apply as a pharmacist? i don't have my license yet.)

2) Mid-August (I think I'll get my license around this time if everything goes

well.)

3) Right now & going away for 3 weeks (I'd like to compensate myself with lil

vacation for 6 years of hardship but kinda worried that i might miss job

opportunity during that time.)

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

are you planning on applying to other places other than new york?? If not then I think you are already at a disadvantage for the job openings that may have already been to new grads that got licensed between june and august. Ideally you should wait until you're licensed to apply and I would defintely apply online to jobs on indeed.com before you go on your vacation if you decide to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought most people start applying during their P4 year before they are licensed.
Those are for people who apply during job fairs or for those who signed contracts with companies they work for but if you want to apply to places outside of that you should wait because chances are you won't get a call back. They require licensure.

Those are for people who apply during job fairs or for those who signed contracts with companies they work for but if you want to apply to places outside of that you should wait because chances are you won't get a call back. They require licensure.

Bad advice in my opinion. You need to be on the ball and start applying speaking with places with job openings a month or so before graduation. Call the director or DM and ask if they are considering new grads. Better to be proactive, get your name out and talk to folks than sit on your ass. Myself and a handful of my peers at hospitals were hired unlicensed. Called ahead and spoke with director before applying. In this economic climate, telling folks just to sit around waiting is poor advice.

Bad advice in my opinion. You need to be on the ball and start applying speaking with places with job openings a month or so before graduation. Call the director or DM and ask if they are considering new grads. Better to be proactive, get your name out and talk to folks than sit on your ass. Myself and a handful of my peers at hospitals were hired unlicensed. Called ahead and spoke with director before applying. In this economic climate, telling folks just to sit around waiting is poor advice.

Agreed. What exactly is the advantage of waiting? As far as I can tell, none exists.