Applying for away rotations with no home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applegrape

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this exact topic posted in a while. I'm an MD student currently finishing up third year and applying for 2 aways in August and September, after Step 2 in July. I don't have a home program and am trying to figure out if I should be applying for a third away. I got a 226 on Step and have been average on my third year shelves. I'm feeling pretty nervous since I don't have any EM rotations finalized yet, and just wanted your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will do fine with 2 but a 3rd wouldn't hurt as long as you can keep up the full energy. Some of my friends started to fade on their third rotation. Plus, if you do well in 3 rotations and get good SLOEs, then it can overpower other not so great aspects of your application.

Depends on where you're applying.

Some programs can be pretty competitive in terms of away rotations (especially those in desirable locations or with a required 4th year rotation).

Just to be on the safe side I'd apply to a couple backups if you plan on doing 2 aways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys. Just to be clear, alpinism, couple of backups meaning some more EM rotations? or like different specialties?

EM rotations.

What is a good number to apply to if you're looking for 2 rotations?

Depending on how competitive the places you are applying to are I would request 6-8 actual clerkships, so apply for both months at 3-4 different programs and flip the preferred dates so half are for your first month and half are for your second month. You need to account for the fact that some places fill quickly.

Some programs are nice and will accept or reject you early on, some put you on a silent wait list and reject you later in the season, others will send you an offer 2 weeks before the clerkship begins and still others don't even have the courtesy to contact you at all. Good luck!

Hey guys didn't want to start a new thread, just wanted to let you know that I got 2 aways for the summer, but I had to apply to about 20 schools to get them.

I just have a follow up question about my chances if anyone wants to comment. Step 1 226, 3rd year grades will be all P with 1 HP. US MD from non-top 40 school with no research but alright ECs. I have 2 away rotations and Step 2 before October 1, but I'm starting to get worried that my grades and Step 1 will keep me from getting interviews. I will of course work as hard as I can these next few months, but I am contemplating backup plans and just wanted an idea of how I should be preparing for the match at this moment. Going through the process of securing aways showed me that I may face a similar battle in the fall. Thanks for any advice!