Applying for Faculty Position: How long does it take for an initial response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balmoral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to a handful of assistant/associate faculty positions in the midwest. I am curious as to the typical timeframe to possibly hear back from departments. Do they typically respond to all applicants to let them know if they are still being considered? Would it be appropriate to follow-up with the department director after 2 weeks to determine the status?

I am an early career (finishing up postdoc) professional so I am curious to know how this process works. Thank you in advance to those able to provide insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently applied to a handful of assistant/associate faculty positions in the midwest. I am curious as to the typical timeframe to possibly hear back from departments. Do they typically respond to all applicants to let them know if they are still being considered? Would it be appropriate to follow-up with the department director after 2 weeks to determine the status?

I am an early career (finishing up postdoc) professional so I am curious to know how this process works. Thank you in advance to those able to provide insight.

When was the deadline? Typically search committees do not contact applicants until after the deadline. After that, they typically contact the top 3 (or so) and let the 2-3 below that know that they may be in the running, but not the "first string", so to speak. Beyond that, they may or may not respond to your app, depending on how many applicants they have. I think sending an email 2-3 weeks after deadline would be fine.

When was the deadline? Typically search committees do not contact applicants until after the deadline. After that, they typically contact the top 3 (or so) and let the 2-3 below that know that they may be in the running, but not the "first string", so to speak. Beyond that, they may or may not respond to your app, depending on how many applicants they have. I think sending an email 2-3 weeks after deadline would be fine.

Thank you for the feedback. It has been a couple of weeks since the closing dates but there are a couple with "open until filled" which are vague.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it always happens the way erg described it.

It varies a ton. I was on the market last year and had different experiences. The first thing to consider is the overall time of year. Right now is fairly late in the game as a lot of schools do interviews in December/January to try to get the top applicants. So it is possible that these later openings might be unique.

I was contacted for interviews anywhere from 1 week after the deadline to 2 months after the deadline. At every place I interviewed at, they started with phone interviews for the short list (probably the top 5-10 people). Then they usually bring in 3 for campus interviews, give or take. One place took a whole month after the phone interview to invite me for a campus interview.

After going through the process successfully and being on the other end of it now, I can tell you that there are a ton of institutional factors that could delay notification. People are busy, committees have to meet, budgets still need to be negotiated with administration, etc. Then the waiting after your campus interviews is also variable. Those kinds of things can also delay offers after interviews. It is sort of a crapshoot.

There is actually a great wiki website for psychology jobs and forums on these topics specific to academia/psychology. You should check it out (can't post it here, but Google it).

Oh, and even though I am optimistic for you, some places will never contact you at all or will send an email or letter after they hire someone. The search process is not typically a transparent one and it is good to get a hobby while you wait...

Oh - and I would not follow-up with the department yet. I think you are probably safe to do so, but personally I was risk-averse and didn't want to come off as impatient or annoying.

Like I said, sometimes it can take months. Aside from satisfying your own curiosity or anxiety, I don't think you gain anything from contacting the search chair. I would just wait in case they take it the wrong way.

Oh - and I would not follow-up with the department yet. I think you are probably safe to do so, but personally I was risk-averse and didn't want to come off as impatient or annoying.

Like I said, sometimes it can take months. Aside from satisfying your own curiosity or anxiety, I don't think you gain anything from contacting the search chair. I would just wait in case they take it the wrong way.

I am keeping in mind the hiring process can take quite some time. When I was a student I remember going through months of faculty presentations. I assume it goes through waves and I should just try to find another position... thinking of adjunct or maybe working at a campus CAPS. As long as I can be associated with an institution with an IRB then I can at least conduct research in the meantime.

For the academicians, any benefit to start off working at a CAPS to improve my chances for a faculty position (I am thinking getting familiar with the department), or it is probably a wash? I do plan to continue research work though if I go the CAPS route.

For the academicians, any benefit to start off working at a CAPS to improve my chances for a faculty position (I am thinking getting familiar with the department), or it is probably a wash? I do plan to continue research work though if I go the CAPS route.

Sorry, what is a CAPS? My brain isn't working this afternoon.

Sorry, what is a CAPS? My brain isn't working this afternoon.

No, my bad, Counseling and Psychological Services (e.g., department clincs, community clinics, etc.)

No, my bad, Counseling and Psychological Services (e.g., department clincs, community clinics, etc.)

I think it depends on what kind of job you want. For example, erg has a job where he does a lot of clinically-oriented work and supervises students, and perhaps that type of experience would be viewed favorably?

If you want an R1 or R2 job, a research position is the way to go ideally. it isn't to say that you couldn't make it work with a job like that, but you might not be as competitive for the research-heavier institutions.

I think it depends on what kind of job you want. For example, erg has a job where he does a lot of clinically-oriented work and supervises students, and perhaps that type of experience would be viewed favorably?

If you want an R1 or R2 job, a research position is the way to go ideally. it isn't to say that you couldn't make it work with a job like that, but you might not be as competitive for the research-heavier institutions.

Tru dat...(fist bump)