Applying for IM & for PGY2 residency w/ intern year question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. This question is for a friend. A friend sitting next to me who would like me to put out this question ASAP without having to sign up for an account. (If I really wanted to be anonymous, I could have made a new account.. or I'm just that lazy... I digress)

So if someone wanted to apply to dermatology or radiology or (insert other PGY2 residency) but is a bit unsure of his/her credentials, but also would be fine with Internal Medicine as a residency, then how should one proceed with applying? (this is not insulting IM, as IM has a lot of the smartest doctors out there.. and I want to do IM)

Example:

Let's say this person wanted to do Radiology but doesn't have the greatest Step scores, clinical clerkship grades, LoR etc...

Apply to radiology programs
Apply to Internal Medicine categorical (at a different location)

And apply to Prelim year vs Transition year (at a different location or at radiology program hospitals)?

Then go to all of the interviews?

If so

How does the ranking work?

Rank radiology interview offers all at the top and then the categorical IM somewhere after that?

How would the prelim/transition years be ranked?

Thank you all.

And for those in the IM board, I am not having cold feet about IM. This really is for someone else. Besides, I am geographically locked to one island in the entire world anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to all of your questions is yes.

After interviewing, they would rank their programs. On the main rank list, your friend would list Rads and IM programs. He/she could list them in any order they want -- all rads first, then IM; or can mix and match programs in any order, simply list them in your preferred order.

The prelim positions go on a separate rank list. You can either rank all of the prelims once, or you can create a separate prelim rank list for each possible Rads match (as your top choice of prelims may change depending upon where you match for rads).

You can also rank prelims on your main match list, usually under all of the rads and IM programs. That way, in case you don't match to any Rads or IM program, you still get a chance to match to a prelim.