Applying for Jobs as a New Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in PT school as an out-of-state student, will be graduating from the program this Spring and plan on returning to my home state to practice.

Does anyone have any advice regarding applying for jobs as a soon-to-be new grad? Things I had in mind were: 1) when to apply, 2) best way to contact employers in a different state 3) general advice covering things you wish you knew when you accepted your first job.

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to take the boards? I took the boards in April (graduated in May), so I started contacting potential employers in April.

I knew what town I wanted to work in, so I just did a google search of all the PT options. I checked their websites to see if they had job postings. If they didn't, I sent an email introducing myself and asking if they had current or future openings.

My one piece of advice is to differentiate your email so show your interest in the local area. In other words, you want to make sure it doesn't sound like you just send emails to every PT office in every city/state. I said something along the lines of "I graduate in May and will be immediately relocating to (this town)". You are more of a sure thing if the employer understands you already live in the area, are moving to the area, or know the area versus a completely random application from across the country.

Reactions: 1 users
When do you plan to take the boards? I took the boards in April (graduated in May), so I started contacting potential employers in April.

I knew what town I wanted to work in, so I just did a google search of all the PT options. I checked their websites to see if they had job postings. If they didn't, I sent an email introducing myself and asking if they had current or future openings.

My one piece of advice is to differentiate your email so show your interest in the local area. In other words, you want to make sure it doesn't sound like you just send emails to every PT office in every city/state. I said something along the lines of "I graduate in May and will be immediately relocating to (this town)". You are more of a sure thing if the employer understands you already live in the area, are moving to the area, or know the area versus a completely random application from across the country.

That is a helpful piece of advice. I know the area and will be moving there so I'll be sure to mention those things. I'll be taking the NPTE in July.