Applying for licensure in two states concurrently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedOut2291

Reaction score
Hello, I plan to take the next step and pursue licensure in the very near future. I want to obtain full licensure as a psychologist in two states and I am considering starting the process for both of them at the same time. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it common for psychologists to pursue this route. Some people have encouraged me to obtain licensure in the state where I will be completing my postdoctoral training (west coast). However, I have no interest in doing so as the process for licensure in this state is extremely difficult. In addition, I have no interest in settling in this area, as it doesn’t fit my vibe and values. I am sure many of you can identify the location.

I really want to settle down in one of the states that I am interested in and possibly, have the other state license as an additional credential as I have family in the area. The requirements for both states seem to vary despite being next door to each other. One state allows applicants to count practicum hours towards the total number of required hours, while the other strictly requires 2,000 hours of supervised postdoc training. It seems that one allows you to be provisionally licensed in the state provided that you are completing your postdoc training under a psychologist who is licensed in that specific jurisdiction. It seems that both allow you to take the eppp before completing postdoc but I would have to scrutinize the requirements carefully.

I don’t like the idea of first obtaining licensure in one state and transferring it over, as some states require you to wait 5-years like the West Coast state of my postdoc program.

Can this be done? Is it advisable?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m doing this and I just did it, nobody has come knocking down my door yet lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of anyone having problems when applying to multiple states simultaneously. Trying to transfer licensure (i.e., via reciprocity) is seemingly borderline-impossible in many states, so even if you weren't applying simultaneously, you'd likely still be using the same application type regardless.

Although while you're at it, you could also start looking into PSYPACT if one of the states to which you're applying is a member.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard of anyone having problems when applying to multiple states simultaneously. Trying to transfer licensure (i.e., via reciprocity) is seemingly borderline-impossible in many states, so even if you weren't applying simultaneously, you'd likely still be using the same application type regardless.

Although while you're at it, you could also start looking into PSYPACT if one of the states to which you're applying is a member.
Thank you! I think I’m going to just start the process in both states simultaneously and go from there!

It's not an issue to pursue licensure in two different states (I did) as long as your meet requirements for licensure they will review your application and DEFINETLY take your money.

Once you're approved to take the EPPP, you can register to take the exam. I think I ran into this issue, but cannot completely recall... When you're approved to take the EPPP, ASPPB will automatically generate an ID# for you, therefore you would have two different ones. Whichever you pick, tell the other you've decided to take the exam with a different state. After you pass, you can have your score transferred to the 2nd state.

I've never heard of the waiting 5 years, which state is this? My peers who moved to CA (which I believe have extra requirements) just had to do an additional 1-2 classes and take the CPLEE.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not an issue to pursue licensure in two different states (I did) as long as your meet requirements for licensure they will review your application and DEFINETLY take your money.

Once you're approved to take the EPPP, you can register to take the exam. I think I ran into this issue, but cannot completely recall... When you're approved to take the EPPP, ASPPB will automatically generate an ID# for you, therefore you would have two different ones. Whichever you pick, tell the other you've decided to take the exam with a different state. After you pass, you can have your score transferred to the 2nd state.

I've never heard of the waiting 5 years, which state is this? My peers who moved to CA (which I believe have extra requirements) just had to do an additional 1-2 classes and take the CPLEE.

This is if you want to use the seniority/reciprocity path that some states have. Some states allow you to fast track your application if you have been licensed in another state for 5 years with no board actions. Or, if you are ABBP'd.

This is if you want to use the seniority/reciprocity path that some states have. Some states allow you to fast track your application if you have been licensed in another state for 5 years with no board actions. Or, if you are ABBP'd.
I think I thought it meant that you can’t obtain licensure for 5 years. I’m glad that’s not the case!

I think I thought it meant that you can’t obtain licensure for 5 years. I’m glad that’s not the case!

Definitely not the case in any state I'm aware of. Many states have multiple paths to licensure (e.g., traditional, reciprocity, ABPP, etc). Should be even easier for people going forward if you have your creds banked and IPC stuff complete.

Hello, I plan to take the next step and pursue licensure in the very near future. I want to obtain full licensure as a psychologist in two states and I am considering starting the process for both of them at the same time. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it common for psychologists to pursue this route. Some people have encouraged me to obtain licensure in the state where I will be completing my postdoctoral training (west coast). However, I have no interest in doing so as the process for licensure in this state is extremely difficult. In addition, I have no interest in settling in this area, as it doesn’t fit my vibe and values. I am sure many of you can identify the location.

I really want to settle down in one of the states that I am interested in and possibly, have the other state license as an additional credential as I have family in the area. The requirements for both states seem to vary despite being next door to each other. One state allows applicants to count practicum hours towards the total number of required hours, while the other strictly requires 2,000 hours of supervised postdoc training. It seems that one allows you to be provisionally licensed in the state provided that you are completing your postdoc training under a psychologist who is licensed in that specific jurisdiction. It seems that both allow you to take the eppp before completing postdoc but I would have to scrutinize the requirements carefully.

I don’t like the idea of first obtaining licensure in one state and transferring it over, as some states require you to wait 5-years like the West Coast state of my postdoc program.

Can this be done? Is it advisable?

I got licensed just right after I completed internship and started my staff job with the VA. Ohio allows for applicants to apply their practica hours to complete the total 3,600 needed hours to qualify for licensure. I have spent a year in my staff position and will be moving back home to Texas in early September - they require 1,750 hours at the internship level, 1,750 hours at the post-doc level, but that has since been modified to allow practica hours to go towards the remaining 1,750 hours. I would recommend getting one license at a time as it is a headache; damn Texas for making it so convoluted. Since I did not complete a post-doc, I had my "supervisor" here at the VA sign the "Documentation of Post-Doctoral Experience" form I will need to attest I have met Texas's requirement of "supervised post-doctoral experience." We were also thinking of moving back to Florida to be with my spouse's family, and they require 2,000 post-doc hours, but again, they have a form you can complete to demonstrate your post-doc experiences whether they be a formal or informal post-doc, or employment experience such as with the VA. I will say, Florida is a bit of a pain in the rear when it comes to documenting post-doc hours as they are meticulous in how they want you to account for every little thing you did in post-doc. Texas....they just ask you who your supervisor was, from "when to when" did you complete your supervised practice, and a couple of check boxes to ensure you are meeting Texas's requirement for what they define/qualify as post-doc experiences...and that's pretty much it.

They might be referring to Texas and Florida - basically, if you apply for licensure in either of those states, they will ask you to demonstrate meeting their requirement for supervised post-doctoral practice, if not, typically they want you to show proof of being licensed in another state for at least 5 years, or have ABPP in order to qualify for licensure. For example, I am licensed in Ohio - we do not have a post-doc requirement per se, so if I stayed here for 5 years, then moved to Florida, I would be able to get licensed since I could demonstrate 5 years of work experience as a licensed psychologist vs. having to show proof of an informal or formal post-doc.

I was referring to two southern states that are next door to each other. One of them was right…:)

They might be referring to Texas and Florida - basically, if you apply for licensure in either of those states, they will ask you to demonstrate meeting their requirement for supervised post-doctoral practice, if not, typically they want you to show proof of being licensed in another state for at least 5 years, or have ABPP in order to qualify for licensure. For example, I am licensed in Ohio - we do not have a post-doc requirement per se, so if I stayed here for 5 years, then moved to Florida, I would be able to get licensed since I could demonstrate 5 years of work experience as a licensed psychologist vs. having to show proof of an informal or formal post-doc.
A formal postdoc should be able to help with licensure in different states?