Applying for licensure realized extra letter on diploma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sme611

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For NYS licensure it asks:

"Do you have another name that appears on a degree or other credentials?"

I entered no to this question as I entered only my first and middle name that appears on my passport/birth certificate (drivers license only has middle initial). I realized now, my medical school diploma added an extra letter to end of my middle name- it's a variation in way it can be spelled, however first name appears the same.

I have already submitted the application ( however i have not submitted my fcvs application yet which i can list all the variations of my name).

I was wondering if this will now be an issue applying ( as I know they're strict about any inconsistencies) and if so how should I go about this now?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if this can be an issue getting licensure

I agree with the above that reaching out is probably the easiest first step but if it makes you feel any better I think this question has more to do with people have had their name changed.

For example, instead of going by the name Dr. Smith when you graduated you are now married and you're Dr. Johnson even though your diploma will always say Dr. Smith.

Reactions: 1 user
The concern is people like Michael Swango.

However, as mentioned it is best to address these issues as early as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No one here is going to know for sure. Why not just call/email the board and ask to update your application?
Thanks for your response .

Forsure I did email but responses can take a while , like up to weeks it seems.

Was more wondering if this can affect me adversely like not disclosing something but I doubt it as it was nothing intentional and were only talking about a spelling ambiguity of only 1 letter..

Anyone know if this can be an issue getting licensure

None of us know, however names sadly get mispelled all the time. Mine gets destroyed just about every time. Just write them and explain. Should be a non issue.

Just get your school to reissue the diploma. And what is the spelling on your transcripts?
Hmm I've actually thought of that but figured would be tedious, transcripts I'm not sure about as haven't seen them, but assuming would be the same as my legal docs as when registered to the school used my legal name..

Hmm I've actually thought of that but figured would be tedious, transcripts I'm not sure about as haven't seen them, but assuming would be the same as my legal docs as when registered to the school used my legal name..
It wouldn’t hurt to call them and ask. If it’s their mistake they should do it immediately. The least they could do is send a letter saying they added an E to your name.