Applying for Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have to have experience in the field to get a master's?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is a psychology major and wants to get a master's to counsel people. At this time she is not sure which masters she wants.
She is asking is she needs internship experience to apply as this has been hard to come by due to covid. Thank you for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-180520.png
    Screenshot_20220327-180520.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
I typically encourage people to go for social work over the LPC since social workers have far better opportunities than counselors do. Counseling degrees have more coursework devoted to psychotherapy, but the coursework is largely insufficient to prepare people to be therapists without their post-master's licensing hours, of which are variable depending on where they are completed. By contrast, social work curriculum is broad in focus with some programs with opportunities to specialize in psychotherapy within some programs. Because social workers have better opportunities because of their better lobbying body, there are generally more opportunities to receive better training.

Some kind of clinical experience (e.g., MH crisis hotlines) typically helps, but this is fairly program dependent.

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s a small cohort program where the acceptance rate is low, then extracurriculars may be required, even if not explicitly stated.

If it’s a larger program (eg state school that offers multiple full-time and part-time study options) with less barriers to entry, maybe not.

How you spin your extracurriculars is a different matter as there aren’t a ton of direct counseling options for non-licensed people. But not having any type of volunteer or paid experience in a helping role would probably be seen as a drawback regardless of the academic profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it’s a small cohort program where the acceptance rate is low, then extracurriculars may be required, even if not explicitly stated.

If it’s a larger program (eg state school that offers multiple full-time and part-time study options) with less barriers to entry, maybe not.

How you spin your extracurriculars is a different matter as there aren’t a ton of direct counseling options for non-licensed people. But not having any type of volunteer or paid experience in a helping role would probably be seen as a drawback regardless of the academic profile.
Aren't the for profit schools easy to get into tho?

Also agreeing with everyone above posting that an MSW is the way to go. The field is already oversaturated with masters levels clinicians but in my opinion the MSW is a much more competitive degree than an MFT or counseling degree. Plus, there are some places that won't even hire anyone that isn't an LCSW or PhD/PsyD. I know there are also some states where insurance won't accept or reimburse if you're a counselor.

If your friend is interested in becoming a psychotherapist I would recommend that they do research to make sure the MSW program they're doing has a clinical emphasis.

Reactions: 1 user