Applying for MHA/ MHSA programs for August 2009. Advice?

Scads

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
  1. Other Health Professions Student
    Hello,
    I am graduating with a BSN this coming December and will be applying to attend graduate school (MHA programs) the following August (2009). I will be applying to UofMich, Ohio State, UofWash, UAB, Minnesota, Iowa, and maybe one two more schools.

Though my degree is in nursing I will have completed statistics, principles of accounting, and principles of micro-economics upon graduation.

I also plan on taking the GRE in a few months (would the GMAT be better?).

My question is for those that have been through the process and have experience that I don't. What advice would you have for someone this early in the application process? If you could go back a year before starting school, during the application process, what would you do the same? What would you do different?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Senior007

10+ Year Member
    Jan 16, 2007
    1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
      I just went through the process and was accepted to UNC, VCU, University of South Carolina, Emory, and wait listed at Hopkins all for their MHA programs.

I think you have to have a clear personal statement stating why you are transitioning from nursing to health administration. Do you plan to be a Nurse Administrator? Do you still plan to continuing in nursing? Definitely talk about your work experiences as a future nurse and from your experiences in the hospital.

I took the GRE in November and applied to all schools by Dec. 1st. I heard by all schools by the end of Feb., so it was a pretty fast turn around. There is no need to take the GMAT, unless you plan to do a combined MHA/MBA program.

the most important thing, i think, is the personal statement. ive been told several times how much admissions officers analyze the personal statement to see if a student has a clear vision of what they want to get out of the degree.

that said, having a good GPA and GRE also help.

it never hurts to find out a bit more about a program by e-mailing profs/current students.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.