Applying for OMFS after dental school and GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gothmog

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I graduated from dental school in 2018. I did a one year GPR, and now I’m working in a public health clinic. In my experiences so far, I’m finding I really enjoy surgery. As in it is the only thing I enjoy doing and seeing my self do.

I’m looking for advice on preparing for the CBSE, and what I can do to improve my chances of matching. I’m only interested in 4 year programs.

My dental school doesn’t rank, so I’ve no class rank, about a 3.7 GPA. I didn’t think I would like go into OS in dental school, and so I didn’t really engage in any activity that would show I’m passionate about OS in school. Any advice or tips and stories of people who matched a few years out from dental school would be great, both for motivation and reassurance.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
 
Crush the CBSE, give yourself at least 3 months of daily studying. Complete at least 3 weeks of externships (this may be difficult depending on how much vacation you get from your job). Find some OMFS mentors in the community who will write you letters of rec (you need at least 2-3 of your letters to be from OMFS). You may need to complete an internship if you can't get all of this done. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the advice. What would you say is a “competitive” score? I’ve heard anything 70+ is considered solid...I’m not sure if I’ll need to do even beyond that(80-90) to be competitive given that I’m going to be a few years out from school.
 
Thank you for the advice. What would you say is a “competitive” score? I’ve heard anything 70+ is considered solid...I’m not sure if I’ll need to do even beyond that(80-90) to be competitive given that I’m going to be a few years out from school.

Like maxfax2020 said...you should also do a non-cat intern year. This will vastly improve your resume, allow you to easily obtain good letters of rec, and allow you to make certain you want to pursue OMFS. Make sure you take the CBSE before you start said intern year
 
Thank you! Yeah I was planning to take CBSE before embarking on this, intern year would likely be too busy for me to study effectively anyways. What is a “non-cat” intern year?
 
Thank you! Yeah I was planning to take CBSE before embarking on this, intern year would likely be too busy for me to study effectively anyways. What is a “non-cat” intern year?

Non-categorical intern is simply what people refer to when they say they're going to do an intern year. Categorical intern is someone that is in the residency program and doing their intern year
 
Question for you all, is there anatomy in the CBSE? I just got FA and there’s no section on it...thank you.
 
There's no anatomy section, the anatomy is split up between different systems. In particular, much of the anatomy is in the musculoskeletal section. The anatomy questions on CBSE are generally clinical anatomy and often involve radiographs. It's probably not going to ask something like "What is the origin of this muscle!?"