Applying for PA School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg0226

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Matt and I am currently a sophomore at my 4 year college. I have a 3.2 GPA. When I graduate I will graduate as a student in the Honors Program, have 4 years of varsity baseball, and have volunteer hours working with kids in my community. I am a member of my schools Pre-Health Society and have research experience and I am also CPR/First Aid certified. I realize I need experience in a health related field and was thinking about EMT, but that would be hard to do because of my busy schedule with athletics and school. My school requires an internship for graduation so I plan on getting my experience through that. My question is with my somewhat low GPA, do I have a decent chance of getting into a PA school? Do all the extracurriculars help? I know if I wasn't so busy with all those extracurriculars (especially baseball that takes up a lot of time) I could have a higher GPA, but I am a strong believer in being a well rounded person over being book smart by studying all day and night. Any suggestions on what I could do to improve my chances would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

take at least a yr off after graduation, get that emt and work for 2000+ hrs while taking a class or 2 on the side to improve your gpa.
the volunteer time looks good as community service. the baseball doesn't do anything for your application.
see www.physicianassistantforum.com for a better forum to discuss pa issues/application.

Because your GPA is lowish, you will need experience to get in the door. If that means cutting back on a couple ECs then it is something you should do.