Applying for Pharm. Tech Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read over some threads quickly but I don't have anymore time to use the computer today (mine's busted)

I was hoping to drop a resume and availability sheet off at several pharmacies in Massachusetts but I may have jumped the gun here.

Do I need a lab tech certification? I was under the impression that training on at the job was sufficient.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good general resume? I was reading that I should also avoid coming in early during the day and on a Monday.

Any information you can throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read over some threads quickly but I don't have anymore time to use the computer today (mine's busted)

I was hoping to drop a resume and availability sheet off at several pharmacies in Massachusetts but I may have jumped the gun here.

Do I need a lab tech certification? I was under the impression that training on at the job was sufficient.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good general resume? I was reading that I should also avoid coming in early during the day and on a Monday.

Any information you can throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you mean a pharm tech certification? If so, I would suggest that you check out the BOP website to see what the requirements are for registration. Some states you need to be certified and registered while in others you don't.

Even if companies don't require a tech license they will probably be hesitant to hire you. At least in cities (100k+ people) it's very likely that a few people will be applying who already have their tech license. If a manager can hire someone that requires minimal training he/she will most likely do so:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
While you're correct, all of that is kind of implicit. The point is that I need to make an effort. I, at the very least, have a vehicle. I have some sort of advantage over students at my school who do not and or go home for the summer. So it's worth a shot!

Do you mean a pharm tech certification? If so, I would suggest that you check out the BOP website to see what the requirements are for registration. Some states you need to be certified and registered while in others you don't.

Yes, sorry about the typo! When you say BOP, I'm assuming you're not referring to bureau of prisons site?:laugh:

Seems like I could study and pass the certification online in a few months. Perhaps I should just wait until then.

Unless I misread, I don't need a certification. I think it might behoove me to wait until I am though.

In Massachusetts, only a "Pharmacy Technician Trainee, Pharmacy Technician, a certified Pharmacy Technician or a Pharmacy Intern may be employed in a pharmacy to assist the Pharmacist" (MA Board of Registration in Pharmacy.)

A Pharmacy Trainee is not required to graduate from a Board approved technician training program to qualify as a certified Pharmacy Technician. But in order to become certified, the trainee must obtain a National PTCB certificate from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (go to www.ptcb.org for more information on the exam.) In short, eligibility requirements are: experience working as a Pharmacy Trainee, a high school diploma or GED and never having been convicted of a felony.

Once you are certified through the PCTB, this still does not mean that you are registered in Massachusetts. You can register as a pharmacy technician in Massachusetts if you meet the following requirements:
  • Be at least 18 years old;
  • Prove good moral character and not be convicted of a drug felony;
  • Have a high school diploma or GED or be working toward one (you need the diploma or GED to take the PCTB exam)
  • Completed a Board approved program OR have worked for 500-1,000 hours as a pharmacist trainee under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and
  • Pass an exam issued by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board OR pharmacy employer (see "School section" for more information.)
http://www.masspulse.org/pharma_tech.html

Here you can only be a trainee for 12 months. You must become certified within that time.