Applying for PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicholaus

Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student (US-IMG Caribbean Med School) and I'm really interested in applying to PM&R. I'll be starting a 4 week elective in PM&R next week!

Quick question:
I've noticed some PM&R programs are 4 years while others are 3 years. How does it work with the 3 year PM&R programs? Do I need to apply to both a transitional year as well as 3 year PM&R programs?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have it exactly right. You apply for both transitional/prelim years and 3 year PM&R programs in the same match during 4th year of med school. 4 year programs include an attached internship year. You can have a rank list w/ both 3 and 4 year programs in any order that you'd like.

You have it exactly right. You apply for both transitional/prelim years and 3 year PM&R programs in the same match during 4th year of med school. 4 year programs include an attached internship year. You can have a rank list w/ both 3 and 4 year programs in any order that you'd like.

Thanks for the reply Taus!

So I'm assuming the 4 year PM&R programs are much more competitive than the 3 year programs?

What if I match for transitional/prelim but not for PM&R? Or worse, vice versa!

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll would hava to scramble or reapply during internship. Its actually worse to not match into PM&R. The spots open for trans+prelim med+prelim surg(espesically) out number the open spots for PM&R on scramble day.

So I'm assuming the 4 year PM&R programs are much more competitive than the 3 year programs?

As far as I understand it, there is no difference in competitiveness between 3 and 4 year programs, the only difference is that in the 4 year programs the prelim year is built in and often tailored to the PM&R residency it is associated with.

If you match for TY/Prelim but not PM&R, then you'll have to scramble for PM&R or re-apply during intern year. If you match PM&R but not TY/Prelim, then you'll HAVE to scramble, as you cannot start PM&R without TY/Prelim by your match contract. Hope that helps!

As far as I understand it, there is no difference in competitiveness between 3 and 4 year programs, the only difference is that in the 4 year programs the prelim year is built in and often tailored to the PM&R residency it is associated with.

If you match for TY/Prelim but not PM&R, then you'll have to scramble for PM&R or re-apply during intern year. If you match PM&R but not TY/Prelim, then you'll HAVE to scramble, as you cannot start PM&R without TY/Prelim by your match contract. Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the advice! It definitely answered my questions/concerns!

I appreciate it :)

Keep in mind that most of the programs that offer 4 year positions also offer 3 year positions as well. You can rank both types of spots for these programs in the same match list.

What do you guys recommend for increasing my chances of matching in PM&R? Any tips?

Simple - perform outstanding on your upcoming PM&R rotation. Show up early/on time. Read up on your patients. Be visible and helpful. Be enthusiastic (sounds like you already are), but don’t overdo it. Notify your attending early that you’re very interested in the field and hopefully you’ll get a good recommendation letter in the process.

This sticky should help guide you along the way as well:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615004

Simple - perform outstanding on your upcoming PM&R rotation. Show up early/on time. Read up on your patients. Be visible and helpful. Be enthusiastic (sounds like you already are), but don’t overdo it. Notify your attending early that you’re very interested in the field and hopefully you’ll get a good recommendation letter in the process.

This sticky should help guide you along the way as well:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615004

Ludicolo:

Thanks for the reply! My upcoming elective rotation in PM&R is being done with a private preceptor in a small group practice setting. He is NOT formally affiliated with a teaching program/teaching hospital in PM&R. He may, however, have connections/contacts (especially where he did his residency in PM&R) at other teaching institutes which will prove to be invaluable to me in getting a "foot in the door". Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply! My upcoming elective rotation in PM&R is being done with a private preceptor in a small group practice setting. He is NOT formally affiliated with a teaching program/teaching hospital in PM&R. He may, however, have connections/contacts (especially where he did his residency in PM&R) at other teaching institutes which will prove to be invaluable to me in getting a "foot in the door". Any thoughts?

If this is a true clinical elective, where you are examining patients and presenting them to your attending and so on, the lack of affiliation shouldn’t be a major issue. If this is a “hands-off” observership, then IMHO the experience doesn’t carry nearly as much weight as a formal clinical rotation.

But you gotta work with what you have. You will obtain experience through this rotation, and your preceptor will still be in the best position to evaluate you (maybe not necessarily your clinical skills in an observership) and your appropriateness for rehab residency. How strong a LOR your preceptor can eventually write remains to be seen.

As far as connections/contacts go – PM&R is a relatively small field. You may be surprised at who he knows. Any connections he has, I say use ‘em if you can. As is true for any job search, sometimes it’s who you know that counts.

Ludicolo,

Thanks a lot for your advice and help! I look forward to working hard in my PM&R rotation. I'm sure my attending will write me a solid letter :) I'll keep you posted!