Applying for PT school, GRE, retaking courses. Need insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm going in my last year as undergrad this Fall, and I'm definitely on crunch time with courses and getting things sent out and applying because I really don't want to wait a year to go into graduate school. Though, what my worry is is that I'm having to retake courses. I'm retaking Bio 2 and Chem 2 because the grades weren't good at all. I'm still trying to study for the GRE and hopefully registering a date to take it by the end of summer or before deadlines for applying. I plan on applying at TWU, UNT, and UTHSCSA. But, the thing is if with sending scores in to the classes I plan on retaking, I'm retaking Bio 2 this coming semester then retaking Chem 2 my last semester as Undergrad if not this coming semester. If I plan on applying for the deadlines for going in next year, would me sending those grades affect my acceptances, and will they know that I am retaking and trying to fix those grades? As for the GRE, I'm still prepping, but I really need to push myself in studying more since I've been slacking since Summer started.

Any suggestions, thoughts? insights? Really anxious and worried on what I need to do to act now.

Thanks guys! and thank god for this forum. I wish I had found this forum way before...

Members don't see this ad.

I believe TWU gives their offers for admission in December, so they probably would not consider grades from retakes this fall (though you should call/email them to double check that). You could still include in your application the fact that you are retaking those courses, but your old grades would be part of the GPA that they consider if your new grades are not out yet. Also, at least as of last year, TWU considers your last 60 units GPA (not total cumulative), and your total math and science GPA (not just prereqs). They might have changed that, though, so it's still a good idea to check with them. I don't know about those other programs, but you can definitely call or email and ask them if your fall grades would be considered for your application. Each school will be different. Good luck!

Completely understand where your coming from. I'm in the same boat to an extent. I still have to badically take all my pre reqs. And where is this school twu?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's getting me worried and trying to get everything taken care of as soon as I can. What year are you in at college? TWU is Texas Woman's University at either Dallas, Denton, or Houston.

@okramango

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, that's the thing I'm worried about, and I think that would hurt my chances of acceptances at institutions. And I doubt retaking those courses now during summer at a community college would do any better, knowing that it doesn't replace the grade you first got at the university. Agh, but I think that's what I'll do, I'll contact and send out emails to them or something.

@okramango

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, that's the thing I'm worried about, and I think that would hurt my chances of acceptances at institutions. And I doubt retaking those courses now during summer at a community college would do any better, knowing that it doesn't replace the grade you first got at the university. Agh, but I think that's what I'll do, I'll contact and send out emails to them or something.

Most PT schools don't care if you take a prereq course at a community college or university. If you can retake the courses at a cc this summer, I think that would be ideal, because your new grades would be out in time for your application. Keep in mind that some PT programs will take the higher grade, and some will average the two grades for your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
@okramango

I took Biology 2 and Chemistry 2 at a university and didn't do well. I talked to advisors about retaking the courses, and they tell me that they think it would be better retaking it at the university because the grade won't be replaced if i retake it at a community college and send the scores over to the university, but it would give me the credit. That's one of the reasons why I'm so iffy on taking it at a CC and registering it for this coming Fall semester, but like i mentioned, it worries me since those updated grades won't be on the transcript I send to universities when I apply and definitely will hurt my acceptance. But that's what I hear, that universities like seeing you take it at a university? And that's true, that I think it would also be ideal on taking it this summer,so I can get the grade in,and I definitely would and still can, I have a couple days to register, but it's a matter of they would take that into consideration or if they didn't care where I retake it.

Thanks again okramango!

I plan on applying to Sacred Heart, Widener, Temple, NYIT, Uconn, and LIU dpt program. I majored in psychology.

My overall gpa: 3.31
Pre req gpa: 3.21
Experience hours: 250

I transferred my freshman year and did very poor probably had like a 2.6 gpa. Im not sure if those 27 credits would drastically put down my overall gpa (3.31). I also tried to apply to the 2013 class and tried to take Chem and Physics in the summer at a community college. I was way overwhelmed and ended up withdrawing. I have 4 withdrawals one was for physics 1, another chem 2, a psych class, and an cpu elective. Ive also repeated two prereqs pre calc and stats. I honestly hope the admissions committee do not judge me off the 4 Ws, repeated classes, and my poor freshman gpa. Honestly do not know what I would do with my life if I do not get into grad school.

what do you guys think?
SHU undergrad 5 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

@okramango

I took Biology 2 and Chemistry 2 at a university and didn't do well. I talked to advisors about retaking the courses, and they tell me that they think it would be better retaking it at the university because the grade won't be replaced if i retake it at a community college and send the scores over to the university, but it would give me the credit. That's one of the reasons why I'm so iffy on taking it at a CC and registering it for this coming Fall semester, but like i mentioned, it worries me since those updated grades won't be on the transcript I send to universities when I apply and definitely will hurt my acceptance. But that's what I hear, that universities like seeing you take it at a university? And that's true, that I think it would also be ideal on taking it this summer,so I can get the grade in,and I definitely would and still can, I have a couple days to register, but it's a matter of they would take that into consideration or if they didn't care where I retake it.

Thanks again okramango!

If you retake them at a cc, the grades won't be replaced on your university transcripts. However, PT schools will still consider the retake at the cc, regardless of what your university considers replaced or not replaced. What matters here is what the PT schools will consider as a replacement, and most of them would consider courses at a cc as a retake, and either average the two grades, or replace them, depending on their policy. You can double check this by directly contacting PT programs. I retook courses at a cc after graduating, and the grades were never replaced on my university transcripts, but all the PT programs I applied to used the higher grade at the cc in my GPA calculations.

Go register for the classes!

Yeah, it's getting me worried and trying to get everything taken care of as soon as I can. What year are you in at college? TWU is Texas Woman's University at either Dallas, Denton, or Houston.
Yes I completely understand the worry. I'm in my fifth year at MTSU. But that's what this site is for it helps you figure things out. okramango has given some great insight and advice I would go with what they are saying. There's no better way of figuring it out than hearing it from the programs mouth themselves on what to do. Thank you okramango I now plan to do that as well with any programs I'm interested in applying to.

I plan on applying to Sacred Heart, Widener, Temple, NYIT, Uconn, and LIU dpt program. I majored in psychology.

My overall gpa: 3.31
Pre req gpa: 3.21
Experience hours: 250

I transferred my freshman year and did very poor probably had like a 2.6 gpa. Im not sure if those 27 credits would drastically put down my overall gpa (3.31). I also tried to apply to the 2013 class and tried to take Chem and Physics in the summer at a community college. I was way overwhelmed and ended up withdrawing. I have 4 withdrawals one was for physics 1, another chem 2, a psych class, and an cpu elective. Ive also repeated two prereqs pre calc and stats. I honestly hope the admissions committee do not judge me off the 4 Ws, repeated classes, and my poor freshman gpa. Honestly do not know what I would do with my life if I do not get into grad school.

what do you guys think?
SHU undergrad 5 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Ey SHU undergrad I don't know for sure but like okramango said I believe you did your best afterwards. and so when you do interview for those programs just be ready to explain or talk to them about what happened with grades and all that. as for your statistics and how you've done I can't really say much for that because I'm still on your end of things. I'm finishing up undergrad now and will be applying for programs in the next year or so and you have the jump on me all my remaining classes will be just pre-reqs. But also there's a better discussion you should post your stats on it's actually I believe one of the star or top discussions so their at the top of the home page for pre physical therapy. good luck on everything.

If you retake them at a cc, the grades won't be replaced on your university transcripts. However, PT schools will still consider the retake at the cc, regardless of what your university considers replaced or not replaced. What matters here is what the PT schools will consider as a replacement, and most of them would consider courses at a cc as a retake, and either average the two grades, or replace them, depending on their policy. You can double check this by directly contacting PT programs. I retook courses at a cc after graduating, and the grades were never replaced on my university transcripts, but all the PT programs I applied to used the higher grade at the cc in my GPA calculations.

Go register for the classes!

AGH, definitely working on it at the moment! Okramango, definitely appreciate it a lot, I just been so biased about taking it and my grade to be replaced by the university so I always stuck with the mindset of retaking it at the university. I hate when I act to late, and now I have to choose between the two subjects to retake for Summer 2 starting tomorrow. But, thank you a lot for your insight, definitely appreciate it. I've actually even contacted TWU and said they don't require Biology anymore which is a weird change also.

Hello, I'd like to know some opinions about the chances of getting into seton hall university
Even though shu doesn't participate with ptcas:
Ptcas overall: 2.81
Ptcas Pre req: 2.84
Regular transcript overall gpa: 3.05
Gre is not so good 146 verbal 145 quantitative ( not good at standardized tests and took it 3 times)
I've been working as an aide at a pt office for 3 yrs and have over 4000 hours
Also about 78 at a specialized childrens hospital
My biggest advantage is my LOR. I have 5: 1 professor 2 pts and 1 administrator from shu recommended me as well as a chairs person form shu recommended me to the dean personally. Thanks !

Hello, I'd like to know some opinions about the chances of getting into seton hall university
Even though shu doesn't participate with ptcas:
Ptcas overall: 2.81
Ptcas Pre req: 2.84
Regular transcript overall gpa: 3.05
Gre is not so good 146 verbal 145 quantitative ( not good at standardized tests and took it 3 times)
I've been working as an aide at a pt office for 3 yrs and have over 4000 hours
Also about 78 at a specialized childrens hospital
My biggest advantage is my LOR. I have 5: 1 professor 2 pts and 1 administrator from shu recommended me as well as a chairs person form shu recommended me to the dean personally. Thanks !

Hello,

I looked into SHU's admission information, here http://www.shu.edu/academics/gradmeded/doctor-physical-therapy/admissions.cfm

For the GRE, it states candidates must have a minimum of 150 on the verbal portion and a cumulative score of at least 310 on the verbal and quantitative reasoning portions. I'm not sure this applies to you, but candidates who have already earned a graduate degree may request that the GRE be waived.

As far as GPA, candidates must have a cumulative and pre-requisite grade point average (GPAs) of 3.0 on a four-point scale. It looks like you just meet the cut-off for overall since your transcript shows a 3.05, but not sure you'd meet it for pre-req if it's the same as the PTCAS calculation of a 2.84.

So overall, I'm not quite sure you'd be that competitive at SHU, unfortunately. I would recommend contacting the admissions dept. directly, to see if their requirements are a hard-cutoff, or if there's more leniency involved. I'd also really check into schools that might not have such a high GRE requirement, and possibly a lower cut-off for GPA as well. Good luck to you!

I know from the schools I talked to if you don't meet their requirements they don't waste their time reviewing your application. They have so many to go through that as soon as they see a minimum is not met they often throw it out. So don't waste your money applying there before you talk to someone