applying for residency/interested in urogyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rainification

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I'm a third year med student in the midst of figuring out where to apply for residency. I'm very interested in doing urogyn fellowship afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone know some of the more well known urogyn fellowship places and would it be a good idea to do a residency at the same place? Thank you!
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a third year med student in the midst of figuring out where to apply for residency. I'm very interested in doing urogyn fellowship afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone know some of the more well known urogyn fellowship places and would it be a good idea to do a residency at the same place? Thank you!

If you want to do a fellowship, your best bet is doing your residency at a place with that fellowship. If this isn't possible, then an academic place or a community program with connected faculty.

Regarding urogyn, there are ~40 or so programs.
http://www.abog.org/publications/Approved Programs_FPM.pdf

The above list I don't think includes Northwestern which is newly accredited.

The major players in Urogyn (in no particular order)
Cleveland Clinic
Duke
UNC
Cincinatti
University of Michigan
Pitt
UAB
UCSD
Brown
Mayo Clinic

Essentially any of the programs in the country with fellowships are strong. They each have their own training slant, some are heavier on robotics while others focus more on vaginal surgery etc. Some are heavier on operative experience versus others.

New programs are getting accredited so the number will probably increase in the next few years by a couple of programs.
 
Hi everyone,
I'm a third year med student in the midst of figuring out where to apply for residency. I'm very interested in doing urogyn fellowship afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone know some of the more well known urogyn fellowship places and would it be a good idea to do a residency at the same place? Thank you!

Have you thought about urology also? you can do a fellowship in urogyn through that as well. Might be an option depending on the type of training u want.