Applying for Residency: MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterplove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior who was admitted to some BS/MD programs. Some of them require an MCAT, some don't.

I read this somewhere and am interested in whether the MCAT is mandatory for at least some residencies...:

"my experience after having matched: my dean's letter did not have my MCAT score. one program that i applied to specifically asked for MCAT scores to be emailed separately...not even had to send an official copy, just email them what you got.

Not sure why everyone thinks MCAT doesn't matter for residency. Any of you actually go through the match yet? Because I did six interviews (three Ortho, three Gen Surg), and they asked for my MCAT score at every one.

I had to provide MCAT scores and undergrad transcripts to numerous places that I applied to for residency.""

What have been your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Integrated PRS programs sometimes ask for MCAT scores as well. In general, competitive residencies find that all of their applicants are stellar and they have little in the way to differentiate them - the MCAT is simply another way.

That being said, its not worth taking the MCAT simply on the off-chance that you might apply to a program in a specialty which wants it. If you never took it, they can't force you to do so and I'm sure they can actually figure out whether or not you would be a good candidate.

OTOH, I agree with the post you quoted in that people, especially those with poor MCAT scores, shouldn't assume that it will never be raised again.

I am a high school senior who was admitted to some BS/MD programs. Some of them require an MCAT, some don't.

I read this somewhere and am interested in whether the MCAT is mandatory for at least some residencies...:

"my experience after having matched: my dean's letter did not have my MCAT score. one program that i applied to specifically asked for MCAT scores to be emailed separately...not even had to send an official copy, just email them what you got.

Not sure why everyone thinks MCAT doesn't matter for residency. Any of you actually go through the match yet? Because I did six interviews (three Ortho, three Gen Surg), and they asked for my MCAT score at every one.

I had to provide MCAT scores and undergrad transcripts to numerous places that I applied to for residency.""

What have been your experiences?

Ive never heard of anyone asking for MCAT scores. It is a useless exam and only tells them how you do at taking standardized tests, a job the USMLE steps do as well.

If your program doesnt require the MCAT so much the better. If a program asks for it it is easily explainable. I would go to the program and concentrate on your studies and when the time comes your USMLE.

I went to one of those "BS/MD" programs, so did my wife. WE NEVER TOOK THE MCAT. We both did veeeeery well on the Steps, Both recieved numerous interviews, Not one asked either of us for this thing you call the "MCAT."

Moral of the story, Look man/woman, They know we went to an accelerated year combined BS/MD program, They didnt expect us to take it, they understand that some combined programs do not require it. They aint looking for nothing but Bling Bling (USMLE Step Scores).

p.s We both went on to couples match in a quite competitive field. and lived happily ever after. the end. What's an MCAT?

another point to consider is that without taking gen chem, physics, bio and organic chemistry, you're not going to do particularly well on the mcat. if you take it and do poorly, i don't think anyone is going to care that you never took the pre-requisites first. they'll assume that if you took the exam you prepared for it. so to sum up, i would think that DrPunk's comments are right on target.

They don't care they know BS/MD programs do not all require MCATS. So it doesn't matter go where you'll be HAPPY for whatever years you have to be there ok. MCAT is not used for residency if you never HAD to take it. They will just look at your USMLE scores.

Just adding to the above numbers: I just did 12 general surgery residency interviews and was not asked for my MCAT score once. I have classmates who interviews Plastics and they were not asked for their MCAT scores either.

I never took the MCAT. Nobody asked me during my residency interviews, and I did phenomenally well in the match and landed at a great residency.

In fact, I don't think there is a place to even enter your MCAT score into ERAS, the residency application web site. At one of my interviews, I got left alone in front of a desk by myself, in the OR, holding my own file. Needless to say, I peeked. There is absolutely nothing more in there than your medical school transcript, your letters of recommendation, and your dean's letter.

In fact, because I went to the same undergrad & med school and they shared the same transcript, the programs got my definitely-less-than-stellar undergrad transcript too. Nobody asked me about flunking undergrad biochemistry. :p I'm fairly certain nobody will ask you about MCAT either.