Applying for residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robin1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is a bit tricky because I don't know all that much about the ways in which residency programs operate and I not sure how many people (especially recent med school graduates) come into contact with the lesser known details of residency programs. Anyway, here goes.…..

I understand that there are two ways in which one can get a residency place in the US. The first, and most common, is through the matching scheme that all US med school grads and most IMG's enter into. It's the second way that I'm curious about. I think this involves setting something up directly with a specific program, meaning this would be outside of the matching scheme. Does anyone know when this type of an arrangement would be used? When I asked my cousin (a recent US grad) he at first looked puzzled and then said it probably applied to fully qualified foreign-trained doctors who although they have to undergo a period of training in the US, are given a resdiency that is "reduced or compressed" and therefore this is applied for outside of the matching system. If this is true than what would be the determining factor for which doctors can apply for this? The country and school/program of training???

Members don't see this ad.

Robin, check out your other thread. I think you'll find that many have answered you there.

Good luck!

Outside the match acceptances or "prematches" can ONLY be done with an Independent Applicant: IMGs, Osteopathic students, and AMGs who have GRADUATED already (usually those who are transferring from one field into another).

A 4th yr. U.S. allopathic med. student is NOT ALLOWED to go outside the match, and thus MUST participate in the match only.

One of the few advantages for IMGs and osteopathic students in this whole "residency hunt"

Good luck.