Applying for SON - upon SF Match - or after Prelim year is determined?

Started by drss1997
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drss1997

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a Canadian doing MD in US, in Y4, if I match in Ophthalmology via SF match (in Jan) and my prelim year is undecided (will be determined in March), do I wait to send the application for SON? Or, am I supposed to send SON app as soon as I match SF Match in Ophthalmology in Jan, today?
I understand that they now give SON without limiting them to a fixed number. So even if I have not applied immediately after receiving SF Match, since they are not limiting numbers, they will still grant me SON, right?
Would appreciate if someone can clarify.
Thanks.
 
Last edited: