Applying for TT jobs this year, networking at APA conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denimfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 5-6 years of studies, I am finally going on the job market. I am interested in tenure-track academic jobs in counseling or clinical psychology. Several people have told me that people will advertise their jobs or talk about upcoming openings in their programs at the APA conference. The conference is next week. Would any of you have any tips or advice on how such discussions occur at the conference or how to talk to the "right" people about it?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "right" way to do this. The person doing the talk may not be on the search committee or have anything to do with the hiring process. My advice would be to look at the Psych Wiki for the places already listing jobs (and there are a LOT for the end of July this year) and if you run into someone from one of those departments, ask some additional questions about any "unspecified" parts of the job ad--are they looking for a particular research area, or for someone to cover specific courses? But listen more than you ask, and don't use it as an opportunity to sell yourself too hard--that's a serious turnoff for job applicants (same applies to asking "what can I do to make sure my application stands out"--DO NOT ask this!). Express genuine interest, ask questions that can help you gauge whether it is a place you might be happy, thank them and move on.

There are a LOT of pieces to hiring a TT person (search committees, budgets, Deans offices) and one person at APA is not going to know how all of those shake out, so really don't worry much about talking to the right people because we may not even know who those people are yet. My department is going to be hiring and we have no idea who will be on the search committee yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, my university is also hiring but it isn't posted yet. We haven't met as a search committee yet to finalize the ad.

EmotRegulation offers some great advice. Ask colleagues and mentors to introduce you to folks in academic positions/departments at socials and at various other events. When they ask what you do say something simple akin to 'I am finishing my internship/post-doc/whatever and will be going on the job market this fall. I'm hoping to end up in academia'. Make some small talk, network, and then circulate around. Don't make a big deal of it and don't come off pushy. That's just the career stage that you're in. Like you're seeing here. lots of folks will be hiring but we don't know a ton of details yet - that still gives you an opportunity to get information about the departments and people inter-personally. APA shouldn't make or break your application - it should give you more info on which to make decisions about if its a place you can be happy.

Do your research on what jobs ARE posted and circulate accordingly when possible.

Reactions: 1 user