Applying for Vet Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a little bit embarassed to admit this... but I haven't ever worked at a CLINIC. I have oodles of lab experience, a good amount of animal experience, but nothing clinical. The lab I work at now (Antech Diagnostics, familiar anyone?) is actually located IN the teaching hospital at OKSU, so I have definitely seen a lot. Problem is, it doesn't really count as much as I'd like.

So, I'm applying to some vet clinics in town. They have turned me down before! This time, though, I'm willing to, well... bug them about it until they give me something.

My question is... what should I put in my cover letter to get their attention? I really need to make it nice, I'm just not sure what I should say, exactly. What has worked for you? Or, have you all been working at clinics for so long that you can't remember? 🙁
 
I kind of just filled out an application and they called me later.

It may be a huge step down for you, and possibly not worth it, but I work as a kennel tech at my vet's office, not a vet tech. I clean poo. Literally.

HOWEVER, it got me in the door and I spend all my free time helping with surgeries, x rays, getting rooms, drawing blood, placing catheters, etc. So, for me it's worth it, and it was obviously good enough to get me into vet school.

Like I said, though, it may not be worth it to you.

Here is a good website for pointers on you cover letter : http://www.deed.state.mn.us/cjs/letters.htm
Hope that helps!
 
I would be a kennel tech no problems. I just don't want to be a receptionist, as that would do me little overall good (right??) and I'm not applying at a feline-only clinic that is looking for employees because I'm trying to diversify. And, they have an opening every to months, which is about as long as anyone can stand working there...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yah reception work is kind of pointless unless once you bring the client into the room you stay in the room with them and take history/assist the vet/etc. Only been in one clinic that did it that way and actually it worked quite well. You'd have two or three techs that rotated through and as soon as one room finished they'd go to the front and wait on the next person, get them in room, get them started, tell vet what was going on, etc. Then you'd have some others behind the scenes running things in the back (like diagnostic tests).

I don't know that it was the most financially sound option but the clinic did run smoothly.


But yah you kind of have to start as a kennel worker (or I did at least, most people do). Just whenever you get down time don't just sit around talking to the other workers, get out to the lab area/treatment area/surgery area and see what you can help with, what you can do. You already have a back ground in lab work (I'm assuming chemistry tests, urinalysis, etc?) so you have a leg up. Just jump in where you can and if there's down time get someone to teach you something. That's how I learned to do dentals. Went up to our surgery tech and while she was doing one I asked if she'd show me how to do it. She did one half of the mouth and I did the other half, then the next dog she made me do the entire thing (I think she was happy to do it too, dentals KILL your back, or they do with the tables we used lol).

So just show interest and when you don't know how to do something, get someone to show it to you when there's time.
 
You could just be very blunt and honest in your cover letter. For instance, tell them you are interested in going to veterinary school and although you have experience in a lab, etc., you've never had experience in a small-animal clinic and would like to take on such an opportunity. You could also say that you're willing to get your foot in the door at first and start as a kennel tech, but you're really interested in being an assistant for the techs/vet. Good luck in your search! :luck:
 
You already have a back ground in lab work (I'm assuming chemistry tests, urinalysis, etc?) so you have a leg up.

I have done so.many.pees. it's not even funny. But the sad part is, Antech can't legally have a non-tech read the microscopic part. Well, except for the on-call students... that's another story...

If I can run the Hitachi 747, I sure as heck can run a VetScan or IDEXX or whatever you guys use to run chemistries. The 747 has 20+ reagent bottles, lots of moving parts, a computer screen, and the results are printed on a form-feed type printer. And it's about the size of two refrigerators.

Our CBC machine is a little smaller and friendlier. 😀

I suppose I'll make sure they know what I CAN do... plus I can work summer, fall, and spring, weekends and mornings too. I'm hoping this helps me out.

Thanks for the help guys! 🙂
 
I wouldn't be embarrassed about not having any clinic experience. I didn't when I applied, and I got in. I had literally tens of thousands of hours vet experience in several other areas, but no clinic whatsoever. I just started working at a small animal hospital as a receptionist, and I just went in with my resume and a smile! Luckily they were hiring, and I'm so glad to be able to squeeze in this last experience before I start vet school in the fall!
 
If I can run the Hitachi 747, I sure as heck can run a VetScan or IDEXX or whatever you guys use to run chemistries. The 747 has 20+ reagent bottles, lots of moving parts, a computer screen, and the results are printed on a form-feed type printer. And it's about the size of two refrigerators.

Yah I've run a Hitachi too. Fun fun.

Comparatively, the Idexx is a snap. It's cake. You quite literally follow the instructions on the screen and the hardest part is opening up all the little packages and finding where the clinic keeps the pipettes, wells, panels, and tips for the automatic pipetter that the machine has.
 
I am a little bit embarassed to admit this... but I haven't ever worked at a CLINIC. I have oodles of lab experience, a good amount of animal experience, but nothing clinical. The lab I work at now (Antech Diagnostics, familiar anyone?)


What experience did you have before getting the lab job? I am hoping to try and get a job working more on the lab side of things but it seems a lot of them want lab tech certifications.
 
I would also like to note that the 747 is basically a big baby... every two seconds it's beeping because it's out of this, it spilled that, it clogged a needle, it... confused itself... who knows. Sometimes I just want to kick it.
 
What experience did you have before getting the lab job? I am hoping to try and get a job working more on the lab side of things but it seems a lot of them want lab tech certifications.

I had two summers in other labs in the vet school which spawned off of an initial "freshman research seminar" project. One involved lots of PCR, and the other involved... glassware, MSDS, and PO forms. Heh. I got lucky on the timing, made a good impression, and my schedule worked. Many sections of Antech don't hire non-techs, but a few do, you just have to see if there's one nearby. All vet schools have labs too... and there's also IDEX, VetPath, and some other chains of animal diagnostic labs. I'm not sure where to tell you to start, but monster.com has some interesting listings - some require experience, but it's worth a shot.
 
it... confused itself... who knows. Sometimes I just want to kick it.


lol. That's what I think about the Idexx machine at my clinic. Half the time when I'm trying to run a T4, it forgets its calibration. Then it asks me three times the lot number of the test, if I'm sure that's the lot number, could I be wrong about the lot number, etc. Grr!!!
 
lol. That's what I think about the Idexx machine at my clinic. Half the time when I'm trying to run a T4, it forgets its calibration. Then it asks me three times the lot number of the test, if I'm sure that's the lot number, could I be wrong about the lot number, etc. Grr!!!

The idexx vettest is amount the dumbest machines I have ever worked with. If it cant read a bar code it will ask you to reinsert the slide. It will then ask you to manually enter the lot number off the slide.... after you just inserted the slide into the machine.

Crazy idea, but they should ask you for the numbers off the slide before you enter them in the machine... Its a human computer interaction nightmare.
 
Lol I love the Idexx machines. They're hilariously frustrating. Ours would just stop working sometimes. No rhyme or reason. We'd just have to turn it off and back on, then turn the T4 part off, then turn it back on seperately and the whole thing would work again.

And then you got to just LOVE when calibrating errors come about with a T4 calibrator that worked JUST fine the day before. And ever fiddled with their Electrolyte machine? VetLyte or whatever? Oh THERE'S a ball right there.


But I have to agree, the lot number thing with T4s is the most fun. 'Is the lot number CD495?' *hit 1 for yes* "Are you SURE the lot number is CD 495?" *hit 1 again* *machine thinks for a bit* "Positive?"

Argh!
 
We are totally lacking in the fun of the T4 machine 🙁 . The only T4 option I ever see is when it asks me if I want to do a T4 snap test(which we don't have anyways). We don't use the snap test reader portion of the vettest anyways.

Our Vetlyte pretty much gave up the ghost on us 2 weeks ago. Something sprung a leak somewhere... Come to find out if you Condition every time it says "Condition Now" you will have issues. It felt so dumb to be filling out idexx bloodwork sheets to be sending out just electrolytes. Oh, and STANDBY MODE! why in the world does it always go into a standby mode while I'm entering patient data! Always!


My personal favorite is the Idexx CBC machine. We should throw a party every time returns a result that doesn't have an error looking for a differential blood smear to confirm white blood cell counts. And the magic beads.... I don't see any magic beads in the purple tube!! I flip the tube its 30 times right after we draw the blood and straight into the CBC machine... nope, thing still hates me. But at least it makes fun sounds while it runs. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh,man....if I had a nickel for every time I got a buffy coat error on the CBC machine I would have vet school and undergrad payed for by now with enough money left over to buy a competent CBC machine.

I never touched the tube! How can you be having a buffy coat (1) error? There's no clots! The float is where it's supposed to be! Grrr... *respin, rerun* Buffy coat error. *redraw from tube, spin, run* Buffy coat error. *smack machine* oh look, it works.


And the Vetlyte machine? ALWAYS runs out of conjugate A. Nothing else, just conjugate A, and it's always in the middle of a Friday afternoon. Can set your clock by it.


Edit: Finally found inspiration for a user title.
 
Man this thread got hijacked! I might have hijacked my own thread. Awesome. Haha. Well, our after-hours students use a VetScan because there's no way they could successfully run the 747... I don't hear any complaints about calibrations, but I do kno that a single box of rotors is what, $600? That's for about 10 or 12 rotors. One per patient.

And THAT'S why after-hours emergency charges are ridiculous!
 
I live in MA where you do not need to be certified to work as a Veterinary Technician. I originally applied for some part time positions and was turned down because I had no previous experience (I was working as a research assistant at the time at Mass General Hospital). I eventually offered to volunteer at a clinic on the weekends. After 3 months of volunteering they hired me as a part time vet tech and I ended up spending two years there.
 
I would be a kennel tech no problems. I just don't want to be a receptionist, as that would do me little overall good (right??) and I'm not applying at a feline-only clinic that is looking for employees because I'm trying to diversify. And, they have an opening every to months, which is about as long as anyone can stand working there...


I wouldn't be super quick to turn down a receptionist position. I'm currently a receptionist at a small animal clinic and I've been able to do a lot of things that have given me clinical experience. I fill prescriptions, consult with clients per DVM instruction, assist with routine office procedures, and get to watch surgeries and non routine office procedures often. I also do a lot of animal care in the kennel, get a chance to help with grooming, and take care of the office animals- the parrot, the two cats, a hamster, and two guinea pigs! We also did a huge Yorkshire Terrier rescue and I was able to clean out ears, clip nails, give baths, and even assist with dentals.
I am sure that the duties of a receptionist are different for each veterinary clinic, but my experiences as a "front desk gal" have been diverse and valuable!
Just my .02 :d
 
I'm helping out up front once a week, even though that's not my area at all. I think you would have the potential to learn some valuable skills and info, and anyhow, it is definitely a foot in the door. (i'm just not very good at it!!).
 
Man this thread got hijacked! I might have hijacked my own thread. Awesome. Haha. Well, our after-hours students use a VetScan because there's no way they could successfully run the 747... I don't hear any complaints about calibrations, but I do kno that a single box of rotors is what, $600? That's for about 10 or 12 rotors. One per patient.

And THAT'S why after-hours emergency charges are ridiculous!

For what its worth, our clinic runs Abaxis exclusively for CBC (HMII) and VetScan 2 for our chems and it is $32-45 for Chemistry and $25 for a CBC. Our markup is usually 100% on rotors. They have an occasional problem, but it sounds like they work well compared to these horror stories!

Don't discount reception work entirely. IMHO, assisting is better, but dealing with clients is an important skill too and you can use that to your advantage on an application. I knew all the livestock vaccines and testing procedures (TB, Johnnes, etc) simply from scheduling appointments and selling OTC vaccines. Something to consider anyway...
 
I love Abaxis! We switched last year from Idexx.

Also, our receptionist often doubles up as a tech. It just depends on the clinic. 🙂
 
I agree to just be honest in the cover letter. Just let them know you are willing to start out in any position, but that you do want to move up if an opportunity ever opens up. If you step up and are not shy about it, you can move up to a tech position from whatever starting point, as long as you put in the effort. A lot of our techs started out as kennel workers and our receptionists also double as techs.

Definitely tell them you are willing to work weekends/any hours/etc... And make sure to talk up the Antech experience....it may not be a clinic, but most clinics have heard of/use Antech, so this gives you a major starting point, and that is worth a whole lot!

And yes, Abaxis is SO much better....we just replaced our Idexx too. 🙂
 
Have you looked into working in a shelter? My first vet experience was in a high-volume shelter, and although I had absolutely NO animal experience (aside from owning my own animals), I was hired as a tech and within a few weeks was administering vaccinations, drawing blood, reading fecals... I did have a considerable amount of experience in human medicine, so that did help out quite a bit (just had to imaging drawing blood from a very hairy and skinny arm!). Shelters are often in dire need of techs/assistants, and since the animals really don't belong to anyone, there's not the same kind of "fear" (for lack of a better word) that comes with treating animals belonging to owners who could potentially sue you if something goes wrong with their pet.
Although it was a great experience, the number of euthanasias I performed at the shelter was just too much for me to handle emotionally. One or two a day for serious health/behavior reasons would have been okay, but I couldn't handle 30 or so a day for minor URI and other easily treatable conditions...
So now I work in a vet's office as an assistant/tech/receptionist/accountant for a single-vet practice. I get paid significantly less than when I worked at the shelter, and I don't feel as though I get as much hands on experience. I do feel, however, that I have learned more working at the office than I would have at the shelter. At the shelter, if an animal nearly had any kind of illness, it was euthanized, so I never learned much about treatment or ongoing care for certain diseases/conditions.
In any case, the job I had at the shelter was a great first experience in that I was able to get a lot of hands on experience with no previous animal experience. I used this job as a stepping stone to my current job in a vet hospital. It's all about finding a good place to start and then building upon those experiences. If you're up to it, I would recommend looking into jobs at shelters - you might be surprised about what they'll let you do (I know I was)!
 
I am a little bit embarassed to admit this... but I haven't ever worked at a CLINIC. I have oodles of lab experience, a good amount of animal experience, but nothing clinical. The lab I work at now (Antech Diagnostics, familiar anyone?) is actually located IN the teaching hospital at OKSU, so I have definitely seen a lot. Problem is, it doesn't really count as much as I'd like.

So, I'm applying to some vet clinics in town. They have turned me down before! This time, though, I'm willing to, well... bug them about it until they give me something.

My question is... what should I put in my cover letter to get their attention? I really need to make it nice, I'm just not sure what I should say, exactly. What has worked for you? Or, have you all been working at clinics for so long that you can't remember? 🙁

When I looked for jobs at clinics, I told them how I needed to get experience to apply to schools, and asked to talk to the vet (or left a message for the vet to call me back when they could), rather than just talking to the person answering the phone. I tried about five or six places, and was offered jobs at about two or three of them. Even if they weren't hiring, the vets seemed eager to help me. A couple of them suggested other places that may have needed help.
 
I asked to speak with the vets at all of them, but only one kind receptionist let me through. Even calling, I only managed to speak with one more on the phone - and that was me going, "Hi, this is _______ with Antech. Is Dr. Mitchell available?" so the poor receptionist thought it was about the samples that they had just submitted. Hah. Even the Antech guise didn't work for most of them! Darn receptionists!

Also, I should point out on this thread like I had on another... I'm actually FROM Stillwater, so there are so many pre-vetters here... al vying for the same set of jobs. The clinics here are mostly saturated, so I have to stand out among the rest in some way. Sadly, the best way to stand out seems to be a really thin class schedule.
 
Last edited:
Are there other places that you can try where you might just have to drive a little further? Also, have you thought about maybe asking one of the places if you can shadow a vet? During my senior year (since I didn't have much time), I used to observe a vet perform surgeries once a week for about 2 - 4 hours. I didn't get too many hours, but I got to see what went on in clinics , and it showed the schools that I had interest for the year I was in there observing. I got to know that vet pretty well, and he was able to write a good letter for me. It can also get your foot in the door if a spot in the office opens up.

I feel for you! I can't stand the whole lookin' for a job process! :scared:😱:scared:😱
 
Giggity giggity! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I will really push for some sort of volunteering/shadowing if I can't get an actual position. I'm still hopeful that I'll find something. I really think they'll go for me if I tell them that I can work almost any hours during the fall - they usually have students saying, "Weeeeellllllll, I have this class from 10:30-11:30, and this lab from 12-3, and this other thing at 11 these other days..." so it would be much simpler with me.
 
I have another question for this board. I might have a choice between a mixed animal practice, small animal practice, and feline only animal practice. I'm totally a cat person, but I don't know if the feline only clinic would look better on my app, or worse. If I get some LA experience somewhere else, would it be worth it to take the feline position? Or should I still try for one of the SA or mixed clinics?
 
I would say go with the one that you will think is most interesting. Does the feline only clinic do a lot of specialty cat cases? Could be interesting if they do and definitely could be a great learning experience if they are. If you are interested in exotics, do either of the other clinics see them?

Other things to consider are how many doctors each clinic has and what type of caseload they see. If you drive by and you have to wonder if they are even open half the time, you might get better exposure somewhere else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well...I don't know what you did specifically at Antech, but I bet you can probably beat the pants off of the techs (and maybe some of the doctors) on cytologies! That's worth flaunting! I think you should make it clear in your cover letter that you're applying to vet school and you are willing to do what it takes to get the experience. Don't be quick to turn down a receptionist job because believe it or not receptionists who have been in the biz for awhile know a ****-ton about a lot of medical issues because they are the front line when a client calls the clinic. You will learn a lot as a receptionist albeit mostly brain knowledge and not so much practically applicable knowledge like how to place catheters, phlebotomy, xrays, etc. Also, don't forget that seemingly lesser positions like kennel assistant or receptionist can soon lead to advancement to assistant or tech (depending on your state's licensing) once you prove our willingness and competency.

Try volunteering at your local SPCA...they are usually more than willing to take volunteers and I bet if you get in good with the vet, prove your competency and tell them you have an interest in vet med that they would be willing to train you to be an assistant. Even if it means just wrapping packs and knocking down 30 animals a day for spays/neuters, you will learn a lot.
 
I highly recommend thinking outside of the box. I wouldn't have my current job if I didn't do a little research on jobs that other people wouldn't think of in my area.
I had the same issues (other people with way more vet experience coming in and snagging all of the jobs). The local humane society wasn't helpful either, because they had a deal with the pre-vet club (wet-lab, spay/neuter clinic, vaccinations were all tied up). So, I went on a couple of RAVS trips to get vet experience. After I came back, it took a little while longer to explain what a RAVS trip was and why I had so much experience after ___ number of days.
(Two clinics actually trotted out my old resumes. Some of them 4 years old.😱) I had to give them the website that I went to and I had to go over some of what I did. I still didn't get those jobs. That's when I gave up on those people.
After that experience, I started to do my own research where I volunteer. I got some pretty good info to work off of. Think unconventional. You just might find something stimulating, and outside of that min. wage range.
 
I'm definitlely keeping my options open for some unique experiences, but i'm currently just waiting to see if I hear back from the clinics. Resume went out Friday, and nothing yet today. But that doesn't mean anything yet.

If I do get a vet job, I'll be pursuing unique volunteer experiences still!
 
How long should I wait after having turned in the resume to call and see if they've reviewed it? I'd also like to offer to fax my school schedule for summer and fall, since it's AWESOME and they'll love my availability. Turned in resume Friday, now it's almost Wednesday... call Friday? Monday?
 
How long should I wait after having turned in the resume to call and see if they've reviewed it? I'd also like to offer to fax my school schedule for summer and fall, since it's AWESOME and they'll love my availability. Turned in resume Friday, now it's almost Wednesday... call Friday? Monday?

If you haven't heard back in a week, I'd call.
 
Sorry to dredge this thread back up again, but I have another question now. Suppose I get a job offer at three different sorts of places. (Its kind of looking like that's how it's going to be, crazy huh?)

One place does cats, dogs, and exotics with a little bit of holistic medicine on the side. They get a good amount of business. If I work there, I'll be a kennel tech and I'll have to work at getting valuable experience that isn't just cleaning up poop.

Another place is feline only. I would be a nurse, so I would get some good hands on work and training, but only with cats. And, I hear the doctors there are not the easiest to get along with.

The third place is very small, cats and dogs only. They get limited business, there is only one vet and two employees. As one of these two employees, I would do recption work, kennel work, and tech work. I think I would have a good chance for 1 on 1 time with the doctor, and she's very very nice.

Sooo... which one of these would you choose, and why?
 
Sorry to dredge this thread back up again, but I have another question now. Suppose I get a job offer at three different sorts of places. (Its kind of looking like that's how it's going to be, crazy huh?)

One place does cats, dogs, and exotics with a little bit of holistic medicine on the side. They get a good amount of business. If I work there, I'll be a kennel tech and I'll have to work at getting valuable experience that isn't just cleaning up poop.

Another place is feline only. I would be a nurse, so I would get some good hands on work and training, but only with cats. And, I hear the doctors there are not the easiest to get along with.

The third place is very small, cats and dogs only. They get limited business, there is only one vet and two employees. As one of these two employees, I would do recption work, kennel work, and tech work. I think I would have a good chance for 1 on 1 time with the doctor, and she's very very nice.

Sooo... which one of these would you choose, and why?

I'd choose the first. I'm currently a kennel tech and you'd be surprised how little it takes to get a lot of medical experience. I just got really good at my kennel job, requested to work in the surgery ward (which worked well since me and one other girl are the only two who like it) and finish as quickly as I can so I can help out. Also, a lot of vet's offices promote from within so you could move up.

You've got to be proactive, though. And for some people this is a problem (though it doesn't sound like you're one of them).

My second choice would be the cat and dog clinic. You want your experience to be a positive one and if you want a good LOR, you need a vet you can get along with and feel comfortable asking to write your LOR.

Anyway, that is my humble opinion.

Good luck!
 
I would pick the third. A good LOR is key and I think it really depends upon the place that you're at whether or not you'd be able to do other things beyond just kennel duties if that is your job. I worked at a vet clinic (about 100 years ago it feels like now) where I was a kennel tech. We had so many dogs and cats in the kennel that I almost NEVER got a chance to do anything else, there just wasn't time. Also, whether or not you will get other experiences at that job depends on how open the rest of the staff is to having you come out and do other things. At the job where you will have all of those responsibilities, I'm sure how much you do each will be in part related to how busy each area is, but I bet if you excel at one area, they'll be more likely to let you do more in that area. Also, it seems to me that you'd get a good sense of the business of a small animal clinic as a whole that way.

Ultimately, though, you're the one who has to say what decision will be best for you.
 
If it were me, here's what I would consider:


1.) Does the first hospital do non-medical boarding? If so, I agree with VAgirl. You might be so busy with kennel that you'll never have a chance to see anything else. If not, I might pick this one. Talk to them about it, tell them that you're willing to work your butt off as kennel staff, but that you're interested in receiving more advanced training down the line. Some places are receptive, some are not.

2.) From your post, it sounds like they're going to train you as a tech. Is that true? In my experience, an offer for that kind of training is rare. Tech positions offer valuable skills, and can pay better than kennel. If you're worried about the doctors there, maybe a working interview might
help you get a feel for whether or not everyone there is a jerk.

3.) If she's an awesome vet and a nice person, then it would be a great experience. But, if she turns out to be crazy, remember that at a one doctor practice, you will be subjected to her every mood swing and bad day.

I hope this is helpful to you!!
 
I'm sure she's nice, though. Her husband works here at the vet school, and he's nice too. So I think that's definitely a plus.

At the smaller one-vet clinic, I would be a receptionist, tech, and kennel person all in one. It's kinda that small I think. So... yeah, I would assume I'd get to do some tech work.

I just checked, and I think that Oklahoma is one of those states that lets vet assistants do some vet tech duties. I'm excited about that!
 
Thoughts on the third one would be to check out how much stuff they actually do. Do they do surgeries beyond spays and neuters, or other more common procedures? Do they do emergencies, x-rays, ultrasounds, endoscopy, ecg's or in house bloodwork? Just want to make sure your not going to end up at a place that does a ton of vaccines, but then refers the majority of "interesting" cases elsewhere.

Not trying to generalize too much, but a $30,000 ultrasound is a bigger expense burden for a single doctor clinic with a small case load.