Applying from Singapore - Requirements, Courses & Academic Structure

Sapphine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm 15 and currently live and school in Singapore, and have my eyes set on becoming a surgeon in the future :D
I've grown up on the Singaporean system of education and haven't been given the opportunity of being exposed to the American system. However, I would like to study in the US for University and hence, would greatly appreciate if someone could kindly enlighten me on the requirements to get into the Ivy League schools. As in, is there a pre-medicine course I have to undergo first?
In Singapore, secondary school ends with O' levels, and Junior College ends with A' levels at age 18.
Also, how should I increase my chances in getting into a top university? This is what I have so far...

Academics
English - A2
Chinese - C5 (heh)
Literature - B4
Physics - B3
Chemistry - A1
Biology - A1
Elementary Maths - A1
Additional Maths - A1
Combined Humanities (Social Studies + Modern World History) - A1

Leadership Roles
Elected Prefect
Patrol Second (Girl Guides)
Leader of School-Based Science Mentorship Program(SMP) group
Director of School's inaugural model UN

Awards and Achievements
Top in Class
Top in Geography
Merit Award Winner
Good Progress Award Recipient
Model Pupil Award for 5 years
"Miss Character First"
Selected & Admitted into Advanced Program for Higher Mathematics
Biotech Fair - Certificate of Merit
School-Based SMP - Bronze

Work Experience
Volunteer of 2 Years at veterinary clinic
Understudy of A*Star Researcher (seasonally)
Volunteer at various organisations/events (eg. homes for the aged, SPCA, Disability Council, National Library etc.)

I think my leadership experience should increase this year, and after my big exams next year(O levels), I will try to find more concrete work experience opportunities (any suggestions?) pending the release of my results. What should I be doing differently, and how can I improve myself? I've been trying to volunteer at organisations where I believe and can support their cause. Would certificates/achievements in other areas such as dance (RAD Ballet), Piano (ABRSM), Karate, horse-riding and Art, for instance, help too?

I would really appreciate any help :) Thank you so much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you explain your grading system?

Also, to get into medicine here, you don't need to go to an Ivy League school. I would just look into school websites for international students.

Thank you for your reply! I understand that we don't have to go to Ivy League schools, it's more of my goal to get there:) I've looked at Harvard's website, and am feeling good about the opportunities they are offering in their many course options, and also, from what I have heard and read, they have a strong and cohesive alumni too:)

I will try to describe the system to the best I can

Yearly Assessment in my school
We have weekly tests (about 3 to 4, sometimes 5, every week) that all count towards your assessment report card that you will get at the end of a term (every 3 or 4 months). The assessments for each subjects will include primarily the tests we take, but may also include surprise quizzes, project work, presentations, or other graded assignments (like our files or essays).

We don't have examinations in the middle of the year, unless otherwise specified (i.e. unless the subject department decides to give us one). However, we have a final end-of-year exam, that would attribute to 50% of the year's overall grade. So, in summary, the final report card would look like this:
Marks for (subject) :
Continual Assessment 1 (25%)
Continual Assessment 2 (25%)
End of Year Exam (50%)

Scoring system
A score of an 'A1' would be the highest grade, and the higher the number, the poorer the score (eg. for me, Chinese would be my weakest subject, followed by literature)

O Levels
Students sit for O levels at the end of secondary school (16 years old). Getting into a Junior College subsequently would be based on your O level grade.
Your O level grade is based on the L1R5 system, where the best score you can get is a '6', if you don't count bonus points (which you can get through higher language etc.).
"L1" would be english, while the "R5" must include 1 science, 1 math, 1 humanities, and a last subject of your choice. For me, my L1R5 would be 7 points.

A Levels
After that, students enter Junior College (JC) and sit for their A levels. To my knowledge, we are only allowed to take a maximum of 12 units, that must include:
1. General Paper (1 unit) or Knowledge & Inquiry (2 units)
2. Project Work (1 unit)
3. Mother Tongue (1 unit)
as subjects of their own each.
If you choose the science stream, you have to take one subject of contrast/humanities (eg. literature in english, economics, china studies, history etc.). Rarely are you permitted to take the 3 sciences and math together. This is an example of an allowed subject combination:-
1 unit each:
1. General Paper
2. Mother Tongue
3. Project Work
4. Economics
2 units each:
5. Mathematics
6. Biology OR Physics
7. Chemistry
Total Units: 10
Students are not generally given the option of taking the last science in their combinations.

I hoped this helped!
Thanks again!

Very helpful! The only problem I could see is the grade in Chinese. Although it is not a science course, undergraduate universities still look at language and other courses. As far as that goes, it might be a far shot to get into Ivy League, but I'm not sure what the requirements are for international students. Other than that, it looks like you have very good stats and your English is better than a lot of Americans.

In general, in American, you finish High School around 18 and then go to complete your undergraduate degree. This is usually a 4 year degree (also called a bachelor's degree). While completing this degree, you will also complete medical school prerequisites such as chemistry, biology, physics, etc. Medical school will follow undergraduate. To get into medical school you will need to take the MCAT which is a test you will take usually around your 3rd year of your undergraduate degree. Hopefully this helps to give you a general idea of the beginning of the path to be a doctor. :)