Applying in August for 2012, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseball1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a student at BYU and I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August, I also plan on applying for 2012 this August. I just wanted to show you what my final stats should be at and see what you think my chances are.

3.4 overall GPA, 2.9 Science GPA

-Took one class over, great service and lots of shadowing hours, 2 years experience in science based research

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm a student at BYU and I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August, I also plan on applying for 2012 this August. I just wanted to show you what my final stats should be at and see what you think my chances are.

3.4 overall GPA, 2.9 Science GPA

-Took one class over, great service and lots of shadowing hours, 2 years experience in science based research

From what I gather from reading other reports of people on this message board, if you can score > than 22 you should be all set.

Need a mcat to even start speculating. However, if you want good scholarships you should aim for a min 24 mcat score. Also, that science GPA needs to be increased to at least a 3.0. Obviously if you will get a scholarship, you will get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya the problem is my science GPA I won't have time to raise before I apply to school. If I wait and take other classes I will miss the priority deadline, so if I want the priority than I will have to apply with the 2.9, is that a bad idea or should I wait and apply a little later with the 3.0?

Hey I'm a BYU grad! Go Cougars!

I was just accepted with similar stats after scoring a 20 on the DAT. I'm not sure how the DAT scores translate to MCAT scores but I think if you score competitively you'll be fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 2.9/3.0 thing.

P.S. How about Jimmer Fredette dropping 47 on Utah? Man I wish I was back in Provo and could go to the games.

Let's make this a BYU alum thread. I too was a cougar. Focuse your energies on the MCAT and don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Haha how about them being ranked #9 in the nation! Big game on Wednesday against SDSU. Ferdette is the man. K so I'll plan on just finishing this semester strong and focus on the MCAT. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August and applying the first priority day that it's open. Any more advice?

Haha how about them being ranked #9 in the nation! Big game on Wednesday against SDSU. Ferdette is the man. K so I'll plan on just finishing this semester strong and focus on the MCAT. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August and applying the first priority day that it's open. Any more advice?

Definitely, the Marriott Center will be rocking for that one. So what schools are you applying to? Do you have a preference? <cough>Temple<cough>

I'm open wherever really, I just want to be a Podiatrist. I'm from Arizona and my wife is from Vegas so Midwestern probably be my first choice because we're close to home but I'm open for whatever comes up. Ha how do you like Temple? What do you like about it? I think Temple would be a blast. Are you a first or second year? Tell me what you like about Temple, I haven't heard a lot about it but living out there I'm sure is cool