Applying in to MD/PhD from MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantGiantsFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I applied to medical schools in the current year's cycle, and I have gotten 2 or 3 acceptances. Problem is, I know now that MD/PhD is the path that I would like to pursue. Is there anyone in the know that could tell me what my chances are of getting in to the program? Would I get fully funded like the other MD/PhDs? Does it depend on the school and the program? If yes, then specifically I would be interested in info on Pitt, Yale, Columbia, Penn, and Washington. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It does depend on the school, so I would first recommend that you ask each of the schools what their policy is on that. In general, most schools that I have talked to do allow and encourage dedicated MD students to apply during their first year. Once you are in an MD program, one major hurdle has been overcome, so you'll only have the research half left. I think that it is pretty standard that they will not reimburse you for your first year of medical education, but the grant should carry you for the remaining years (again, depending on the program). I don't have any specific info on any of the schools you listed, though.

Another option that you may consider is getting a PhD during your residency. I know that there are programs out there that offer this, as well.

intuition suggests internal admission would be easier at an institution with a larger program (in this case, Penn), but perhaps some of the Penn students on this board can speak to that.

yet another option available to you (although it sounds really unappealing and costly), is to re-apply this summer to md/phd programs directly...