Applying Late? Don't!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cadbery

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
How many II did you get?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think applying late is definitely a factor, but I’m not sure if it’s the MAJOR factor. Have you considered reaching out to some schools for feedback. Maybe there is some hidden flaw you are not aware of?

Reactions: 1 users
it has become become accept my least favorite medical school or quit the MD track.
Among the many restated facts about applying to med school on this site, two of the most common are - don't apply late/rush your app and don't apply to a school you couldn't see yourself going to. It's a bummer that OP finds himself in the position. I guess I hope that you don't get in to your safety school? For everyone else skimming through this, listen to him.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree: applying late is a bad idea!

I also agree with @Cadbery -- applying late might not have been decisive in your outcome.

You have a good GPA and a good MCAT and getting two IIs is a good outcome for an application cycle.

I think it's easy, after the fact, to think that if we had done something differently we'd have drastically different outcomes.

I hope it all works out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
This is a warning to all those who are considering applying late. I have 3.86 GPA from UVA. MCAT score 512. Two years of part time scribing work, and 1.5 years full time work as MA. Volunteer hours that reach triple digits. Multiple extracurricular activities. AMCAS application essays were well written and verified by reputable persons. Confident in letters of eval authors. Have 3 years of research experience and helped publish a paper.

Due to scheduling conflict I had to take the MCAT late June and turned in my secondaries October-September. As of now I'm only on the waitlist for my safety school. I knew going into this that I would have significant difficulty getting into medical schools but I was hopeful and I just didn't want to wait anymore.

My advice: wait until next year.

This process isn't as flexible as some may think. If I get into this safety school it seems like I HAVE to go. If I turn it down because I know that applying on time this next cycle would allow me to go to a much better school in a much better area then all the schools that I would apply to in the future would see that i turned down an acceptance. That does NOT look good. So basically by applying late I have boxed myself in. None of the credentials matter; it has become become accept my least favorite medical school or quit the MD track. Basically you could say that it's an accomplishment to get into any medical school at all after applying so late...but likely that's about everything that you've done will amount to if you apply so late.
I know that in the end it doesn't matter what med school you go to (to an extent). While that is true, the location, pricing, and school personas ARE important and if you are going for a duel degree like I am (MD/MPH) it does matter (MPH's are not all equal unlike MD's).

While I agree that it is definitely better to apply early, and that it sucks that you'll probably miss the first round of interview invitations if you don't, I took my MCAT in July, got my scores back in August, applied to a broad and appropriate school list, and had all my secondaries in by Labor day. Didn't seem like I missed out on too much by following this plan.

n = 1 for my success story, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have applied earlier if I could and highly recommend everybody else to do the same.

Reactions: 2 users
As in like 100? Because that’s not very much.
Was wondering the same thing.
OP: you also made sure you have all your shadowing and nonclincial volunteerings right? I’m afraid that there might be other things in your app that you are not aware of and it might not just be the late issue. Going ahead to reapply before figuring this out is detrimental.

Even if you had taken your MCAT in late June, your application would have been on time if you finished everything else within the next two months. Why did it take you so much longer?

I think applying late is definitely a factor, but I’m not sure if it’s the MAJOR factor. Have you considered reaching out to some schools for feedback. Maybe there is some hidden flaw you are not aware of?

I have asked all the schools that I was rejected from. They all said they have too many applicants to answer that (understandable).

And I wasn't going to go into all of my stuff because my main point for this thread was just to warn other peoples but yeah my volunteering reaches around 500-700 hrs (I forgot, but I could look it up). Only 80 hours of it was clinical, the rest was habitat for humanity, Sal Army, etc...
I did also shadow for around 80 hours. Mos of my clinical experience was via working.

Anything else I could be missing?

Even if you had taken your MCAT in late June, your application would have been on time if you finished everything else within the next two months. Why did it take you so much longer?

Yes true. I also had some personal things going on that restricted how fast I could get through the apps. I regret it, but acknowledge that there was not much I could have done about it. So what can ya do?

How about you withdraw from the waitlist before a final decision is made.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're missing one important piece of info. What was your school list?

Reactions: 9 users
Hearing back from 2 out of 8 school actually isn't that bad... seems pretty standard. Applying to too little schools probably affected you more than applying late

Reactions: 21 users
I applied to UVA, Baylor, SUNY Upstate, VCU, Boston, Tuft's, George Washington, and EVMS.
I know this is not a long list (I would like to have applied to 18 schools, but as noted above I was restricted on time).
I am on top third wait list at EVMS. I have an upcoming interview at SUNY.

EVMS is a good school. No doubt. But it doesn't fit well with my MD/MPH track I was hoping to pursue. Also, would rather not go there for location reasons.
are you a VA or NY resident? Some of these schools seem very low yield for you.

8 schools is risky to begin with. You got 2/8 interviews. That’s 25 percent. If you applied to 25 programs then perhaps you would have about 6 interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
I applied to UVA, Baylor, SUNY Upstate, VCU, Boston, Tuft's, George Washington, and EVMS.
I know this is not a long list (I would like to have applied to 18 schools, but as noted above I was restricted on time).

EVMS is a good school. No doubt. But it doesn't fit well with my MD/MPH track I was hoping to pursue. Also, would rather not go there for location reasons.

Applying late was an issue but your tiny school list was absolutely the bigger issue. But tbf 2 of 8 isn't a terrible ratio, especially that given BU/UVA/Baylor were reaches and Tufts/GWU are low yield. I hope at least one works out for you!

Reactions: 7 users

I think you are putting more emphasis on your app timing than is due. Early sept is normal timing. Later sept is barely late at all. Even october complete dates shouldn't spell doom for a solid app with a good length list of appropriate places.

Applying to 8 places, with several too competitive and/or very low yield (for example Boston had a 517 median and 11k applicants) is what led to having only 2 interviews.

So it's true that getting behind in the cycle is very dangerous! But in this case it's because it made for a very limited list, rather than because of complete date.

Edit: I think EVMS usually has waitlist motion so that's good news to be top third!

Reactions: 4 users
There is no safety school, especially with an MCAT score of 512.

You were hoping for Baylor and Boston, but are a more realistic match at EVMS.

If you don't want to go there and would like more competitive schools, withdraw from the waitlist and consider retaking the MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
8 schools is risky to begin with. You got 2/8 interviews. That’s 25 percent. If you applied to 25 programs then perhaps you would have about 6 interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Most applicants fail to get a single interview, and of those that do, most get only one.

OP is very fortunate. This is a classic case of apply when you have the best possible app, apply early, do NOT apply if you don't have your MCAT score, and most importantly, have a realistic target list

Reactions: 12 users
Regardless of the relative impact of the various adverse factors (late timing, school list and small number of applications), the real issue is what to do now -- If you don't want to attend EVMS you have two choices -- withdraw before they accept you or do nothing and anxiously hope for the best. (In case you're wondering, anxiously hoping for the best is a months' long miserable experience!)

If you do nothing and are accepted to EVMS but not SUNY, you either go to a school you are unhappy with, or withdraw post-acceptance and have a serious black mark on your next year's application -- neither of which are good options. If you'd truly prefer another gap year to EVMS, then withdraw now, so think about that carefully.

SUNY is still a possibility and there's always next year with MORE and better-targeted schools and an earlier and stronger application.

Well I'm glad that I can serve as a case study for all of those hoping to the apply in the future! XD

In a way my main point still stands. Don't apply too late which also indicates that you should leave yourself enough time to apply to an ample medical school pool. 15-20 is a good number. More is even better.

In terms of how much applying late can affect an application, I realize that it isn't the only reason for rejection but it definitely does not help. Honestly, I have a feeling that it is what is keeping me from a VCU interview (haven't gotten rejected yet but its Feb 21st so...). But who knows.

I'd be very careful about withdrawing from EVMS! It's a match for you, not way below, and it would mean going into second cycle without your best bet for an instate admit. It sounds like your main worries about EVMS are lack of a strong MPH program, and not so great location. But, you can always do the MPH elsewhere, it's not nearly as competitive as medical admissions. And the schools in popular locations like Boston or NYC tend to be too competitive or low yield to expect an admit there on second cycle, even if you're complete in July.

Reactions: 3 users
Your school list is way more the issue. 2/9 is a good ratio. Also, there’s no safety school.

Your timing was okay, a tad later than optimal but still not the reason for your limited choices IMO. But, you have plenty of hope left and you’ll probably be accepted and this won’t matter at all.

Good luck to you!

You should send a LOD (letter of disinterest) to EVMS telling them you need more time to contemplate whether you’d rather matriculate at their school or reapply in the future. Thus, if they’re planning to accept you, you’d prefer if they wait several weeks before doing so.

(Just in case it wasn’t apparent enough, this is a joke. Don’t actually do this.)

Reactions: 11 users
You should send a LOD (letter of disinterest) to EVMS telling them you need more time to contemplate whether you’d rather matriculate at their school or reapply in the future. Thus, if they’re planning to accept you, you’d prefer if they wait several weeks before doing so.

(Just in case it wasn’t apparent enough, this is a joke. Don’t actually do this.)

HAHA XD Careful man, some people may have actually tried to do this if you hadn't tagged on that bit at the end lol. Yeah 100% not the thing to do.

For those cautioning not to withdraw from EVMS, I'm 100% with you. It's not something that I would do lightly. To get into medical school is a big deal in and of itself so it would take a lot for me to gamble with that. I do believe that I could have found a school better suited for me if I had 1. applied on time 2. applied to more schools 3. gotten just a slightly better MCAT. Thus, waiting another year would have just been a better idea. (I probs would not have taken the MCAT again though TBH. I don't see a whole lot of benefit in retaking a 512. Even if its just a bland score its not technically a bad one). That's the lesson I hope others will learn from reading this.

However, if I do get off the EVMS wait list then at least I'm going to medical school! Getting into medical school is harder than I thought apparently. Many of my premed friends with significantly lesser stats, clinical experience, volunteering, and ETC seem to be getting into equal or better medical schools than I am. That part I do not understand, thus why I seemed to hook on to the late factor. But Se la vi I guess. I'm sure I could make EVMS a home if I were to get in.

This process isn't as flexible as some may think. If I get into this safety school it seems like I HAVE to go. If I turn it down because I know that applying on time this next cycle would allow me to go to a much better school in a much better area then all the schools that I would apply to in the future would see that i turned down an acceptance. That does NOT look good.

If you get into your safety school, you really have to go. From what I understand, if you decline and reapply, the other med schools will blacklist you. Their reasoning is that they don’t want to risk that you might do that to them. Why bother when there are a hundred other “you’s” out there that would never decline their only acceptance. There is probably another feeling that the system just gets messed up if a student with a MD acceptance declines and reapplies later. If there is a legit reason for not matriculating, such as a serious injury or illness, then the student is to ask for a delay in enrollment.

Last edited:
I agree with PreMedMissteps saying you should accept if you're accepted at your safety school. I've heard on SDN that schools will look at you rejecting an acceptance negatively. Plus...why would you apply to a school if you weren't prepared to potentially matriculate at that school? A lot of people don't get in. You don't know what the next cycle would hold, you could get acceptances to schools you like more but who knows.

Wishing you the best :)

I have found that it's often best to just go with how life leads, and not fight it. In your case, if you end up getting accepted, I would take that as the "way things were meant to be", and make the best opportunity of it. If you don't get accepted, then you will know "it wasn't meant to be", and you can work on beefing up your application for next year. If you withdraw, you run the risk that you may never be accepted to another medical school.....I would think it's better to get to your 8th choice, then to not go at all, but that's me. You might feel differently, but understand the risk, before you make a decision.

I mean even if you could drop and reapply risk-free, is a boost in MD prestige really worth another year of lost income and of your life spend waiting?

This is a warning to all those who are considering applying late. I have 3.86 GPA from UVA. MCAT score 512. Two years of part time scribing work, and 1.5 years full time work as MA. Volunteer hours that reach triple digits. Multiple extracurricular activities. AMCAS application essays were well written and verified by reputable persons. Confident in letters of eval authors. Have 3 years of research experience and helped publish a paper.

Due to scheduling conflict I had to take the MCAT late June and turned in my secondaries October-September. As of now I'm only on the waitlist for my safety school. I knew going into this that I would have significant difficulty getting into medical schools but I was hopeful and I just didn't want to wait anymore.

My advice: wait until next year.

This process isn't as flexible as some may think. If I get into this safety school it seems like I HAVE to go. If I turn it down because I know that applying on time this next cycle would allow me to go to a much better school in a much better area then all the schools that I would apply to in the future would see that i turned down an acceptance. That does NOT look good. So basically by applying late I have boxed myself in. None of the credentials matter; it has become become accept my least favorite medical school or quit the MD track. Basically you could say that it's an accomplishment to get into any medical school at all after applying so late...but likely that's about everything that you've done will amount to if you apply so late.
I know that in the end it doesn't matter what med school you go to (to an extent). While that is true, the location, pricing, and school personas ARE important and if you are going for a duel degree like I am (MD/MPH) it does matter (MPH's are not all equal unlike MD's).

Did you end up getting accepted to EVMS?