Applying Next Cycle (June 2013) Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentoflife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently a non-URM senior (class of 2013) at a top 20 university and hope to matriculate into med school in fall of 2014. I am currently debating between SMP post-bac or continuing paid research near my school (fairly certain my PI can hook me up with a job when I graduate). Pros and cons of each, SMP = pros: possibility of improving academics. cons: really expensive. Research = pros: $$$, further research experience. cons: no chance to prove that I'm academically up to snuff.
I currently have a ~3.2 cGPA, ~3.0 sGPA with a 33Q MCAT (10 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS) score (second attempt). I am working to pull my GPA up to a 3.3ish by the end of my senior year with several upper level bio courses (Cell Bio, Biochem, 2 other bios). Some of my ECs include volunteering at a hospital, shadowing several doctors, and I am currently doing research in a lab and plan continuing next semester. I have also had a leadership position in a club on campus.
I plan on getting my application in early next summer (right after I graduate) to about 15-16 low-mid tier MD schools and about 5-6 DO schools. What do you guys think my chances are? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances besides academics? I am also considering retaking the MCAT because I'm fairly certain I can improve PS and VR, so that's not off the table either...
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you guarantee that you'll score higher than a 33? If you can, re-take the MCAT. If you can't, you shouldn't because it's a great score as it is. In evaluating whether you should or not, you need to consider what would you do differently? Is there some way you can tweak your studying or was there a subject that you can have learned better and that's what hurt you on the test? Did you have enough time to study for it? If you honestly felt that you did all you could to get that score, then you shouldn't retake it.

You do need to make sure you apply early because your GPA is what's holding you back. Also what's your state residency? If you're from someplace besides California, you should apply to your MD state schools and schools that friendly to your region. For example, if you're from the mid-west, apply to schools all over the mid-west and you'll have better chances than applying to schools in another region.

For DO schools, you're in great shape! Remember to apply early because again your GPA is on the low-end. Get a letter of rec from a physician (preferably DO) and shadow a DO. You need to make sure you are familiar with the osteopathic principles and make sure you convey that you're interested in being a DO.

You also need to get fantastic letters of rec and this might help out with the low GPA. Use your last semester to get good letters of rec from your faculty (2 science, one non-science) so that they can evaluate your character and your skills as a student. And do well in those classes too. Awesome LORs goes a long way to making an average applicant stand out.

As for your EC's, great job. You're on the right track. I would also consider trying to get involved in a community volunteering program that is not directly related to medicine and healthcare. It could mean mentoring kids, tutoring, helping out at a shelter, etc.

Good luck!