Applying NIH IRTA w/ no research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in December with NO research experience. I'm also a reinvention student with a ~3.23 GPA; the only thing I have going for me is that my last ~80 credits have been 3.9+. I would personally enjoy gaining some research experience as well as checking that box. The NIH IRTA sounds like a great program. From what I've read it seems like most people find their positions by reaching out to TONS of PI's via email. Give it to me straight, would it be a waste of my time, to put in the effort, to apply to this program?

Would I be better off looking for opportunities near me? Or would I be better off skipping the research and focusing on the clinical/volunteer aspects of my resume?

EDIT: All other aspects of my app look good, but I don’t think the NIH cares about my volunteering or clinical experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most postbacs at the NIH already have tons of research experience. I had years of experience and it still took 50+ emails just to get a couple of responses. Would recommend you find something local. Admissions might be more lenient with research experience considering many institutions including the NIH have put their non-covid research into hibernation for the outbreak. Also, your focus should be to continue to boost your GPA rather than research. Research breadth is more important for applying to top tier research institutions.

I'm graduating in December with NO research experience. I'm also a reinvention student with a ~3.23 GPA; the only thing I have going for me is that my last ~80 credits have been 3.9+. I would personally enjoy gaining some research experience as well as checking that box. The NIH IRTA sounds like a great program. From what I've read it seems like most people find their positions by reaching out to TONS of PI's via email. Give it to me straight, would it be a waste of my time, to put in the effort, to apply to this program?

Would I be better off looking for opportunities near me? Or would I be better off skipping the research and focusing on the clinical/volunteer aspects of my resume?

EDIT: All other aspects of my app look good, but I don’t think the NIH cares about my volunteering or clinical experience

In the same boat, I have no research experience in a lab. I only published a small paper on my school's hospital journal and my mentor worked at the CDC so maybe a letter of rec from her could help, but I am still going to apply. I will email 100 PI's until one says yes.

Bottom line -- research only really matters at tippy top schools, and reinvention candidates are generally not competitive there, so research is really not a "must have" for you.

Reactions: 1 user