This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Astro_Imperator

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, so I recently got my board scores back: STEP 2 in the mid 220's and COMLEX 2 in the mid 560's. My NBME scores were in the high 230's/low 240's, so I'm devastated.

Any advice? I've been told to consider FM and do an OB fellowship, but I genuinely can't see myself doing anything other than OBGYN. I'm willing to do a transition year and try again next cycle if I can't get into a program.
 
Last edited:
You could definitely focus on residencies that had a previous DO tradition. I don’t think mid 220s is the end of the world but I agree with having a back up plan just in case.

Do you have any auditions setup? This could really help you
 
I've been told to consider FM and do an OB fellowship
Who told you this?

Real-talk: if your school has a home program and they're telling you this, or if this is advice at a program you rotated at, then, well... you need to seriously consider their advice. Your school knows your best, and if they're telling you that you're not competitive for them, then ultimately you're just crossing your fingers and hoping. Which isn't a plan. Honest truth is that not everyone is going to get their specialty of choice.

If it's random other medical students who may or may not know what they're talking about, then you can still apply... but, what's your strategy? Are their other concrete strengths in your application where you could realistically look better on paper and get interviews over other applicants with better scores than you?

Bottom line for either scenario--the real question is what's the opportunity cost you're willing to pay. You're going to submit an application to OB/Gyn regardless and hope for the best at this point. If you match, then none of this matters. But, if you fail to match, would you rather take a spot in FM, or would you rather reapply in a year? What is actually feasible from your school and for you from a personal situation?

Not an easy decision, and I know it's extra stressful given that ERAS opens in a few days. But these are the questions I would ask to help you decide.