applying once more, would appreciate any advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decoug14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can please give me some honest advice. This is my second time applying to dental school. Just re-took the dat and improved. The first time I took the DAT (3 yrs ago) I had a very different mind-set ( i only studied for a week and decided I would give it a try :/ ) Since then I graduated with two B.S degrees, married and became a mother. My science gpa is 3.0 and overall is 3.3. I have 5 years of dental assisting experience. I am a first generation student, worked my way through college and hoping for a better outcome this second time. I would appreciate any of your comments. Thank you!
DAT1 DAT2
PA 10 19
QR 10 17
RC 18 18
Bio 15 20
GC 15 20
OC 13 17

TS 14 19
AA 14 18

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone can please give me some honest advice. This is my second time applying to dental school. Just re-took the dat and improved. The first time I took the DAT (3 yrs ago) I had a very different mind-set ( i only studied for a week and decided I would give it a try :/ ) Since then I graduated with two B.S degrees, married and became a mother. My science gpa is 3.0 and overall is 3.3. I have 5 years of dental assisting experience. I am a first generation student, worked my way through college and hoping for a better outcome this second time. I would appreciate any of your comments. Thank you!
DAT1 DAT2
PA 10 19
QR 10 17
RC 18 18
Bio 15 20
GC 15 20
OC 13 17

TS 14 19
AA 14 18

Wow, great story. Had a similar one about 2 years ago. Got my act together, Aced my coursework, and pulled my GPA from a 3.0 to a 3.5. It was a long 2 years.

U got a ton of dental work, that has to count for something. I've been doing a lot of research on the forums and calling up schools and asking about GPA and dat scores. Seems like most schools want 19-20s on everything, however there are a few schools like AT still that are more mission based schools that will accept 18s even 17s they told me. Mission meaning you have a desire to work in underserved areas of dentistry.

That science GPA might give u some trouble tho, is there any way to boost it up to a 3.2, preferably 3.3 before ur 2nd DATs expire? That would give u a much better negotiating stance with your fabulously improved DAT score, and also strengthen your "comeback" narrative. People love a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" story, especially if you hail from humble beginnings.

I'm just starting on this dental path, so take my advice with a smige of salt. Good luck.

to the comment above, a 17 OC and a 18AA after a second retake is not a FABULOUS DAT and with a 3.0 sGPA will give the OP near no chance to get into dental schools, may be a lot of waitlisted. enroll in postbach/masters/SMP to redo your classes to pull that GPA up.

the adcoms will care a lot about you being a mother, dental assist for 5 years, and work your way through college IF you have a 3.6 3.7 GPA and a 20-21 DAT.
before that, STATS always come first. aka, they rather take a single students, with few months of dental shadow, volunteer a bit, but with a 3.7 GPA and a 21 DAT any day over you OP. it is just a sad reality of dental admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
to the comment above, a 17 OC and a 18AA after a second retake is not a FABULOUS DAT and with a 3.0 sGPA will give the OP near no chance to get into dental schools, may be a lot of waitlisted. enroll in postbach/masters/SMP to redo your classes to pull that GPA up.

the adcoms will care a lot about you being a mother, dental assist for 5 years, and work your way through college IF you have a 3.6 3.7 GPA and a 20-21 DAT.
before that, STATS always come first. aka, they rather take a single students, with few months of dental shadow, volunteer a bit, but with a 3.7 GPA and a 21 DAT any day over you OP. it is just a sad reality of dental admission.

I was under the impression that 18, while not a fabulous score, is tolerable.

With the the circumstances, I think OP could get in with a 18 if she had a 3.5 GPA.

I was under the impression that 18, while not a fabulous score, is tolerable.

With the the circumstances, I think OP could get in with a 18 if she had a 3.5 GPA.
Tolerable if her gpa was higher. OP would seriously benefit from an SMP.

Tolerable if her gpa was higher. OP would seriously benefit from an SMP.

I agree somewhat. SMPs are extremely high risk high reward situations. I would just retake classes and post bacc it.

I would say you have a chance. Not a good one though. I'd say less than 50%. I have been involved in admissions and the first thing looked at are your numbers. Also even if some schools dont count the first DAT, they still see it on the app and that is very low. Your second score is also below average for as competitive as things are today. And your GPA is way below average. You should work on your GPA and get all A's but still take a chance this cycle on applications. You need to apply EVERYWHERE if you are going to try it out this cycle!

DAT1 DAT2
PA 10 19
QR 10 17
RC 18 18
Bio 15 20
GC 15 20
OC 13 17

TS 14 19
AA 14 18

Not to hijack your thread, but I am in a similar situation if you like to read about my situation.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dental-school-4th-cycle-re-applicant.1203819/#post-17814833

I would recommend doing a post-bacc, but then again, it hasn't exactly done much for me anyway. Getting lesser on your second attempt is not good. You may need to retake it a third time like I did. I've seen people get in with a 16 and I interviewed with people few months ago who came in with an 18 so you have a shot at an interview at least.

Not to hijack your thread, but I am in a similar situation if you like to read about my situation.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dental-school-4th-cycle-re-applicant.1203819/#post-17814833

I would recommend doing a post-bacc, but then again, it hasn't exactly done much for me anyway. Getting lesser on your second attempt is not good. You may need to retake it a third time like I did. I've seen people get in with a 16 and I interviewed with people few months ago who came in with an 18 so you have a shot at an interview at least.
16 on QR and Reading or 16AA???

Thank you guys! I appreciate all your comments and advice. I was thinking about obtaining a master's and pulling up my GPA. I have already started my application and will go through with it for this cycle and hope for the best. I guess I wanted to hear your thoughts and see if schools will see my GPA as a red flag and dismiss the other components of the application which I feel are strong. I greatly appreciate your advice. I don't want to retake any courses but I will look into the masters if I don't get accepted this cycle. Also, I know schools vary in dates of when they provide a rejection/interview.... but if I don't hear anything by december is that a good indication i didn't get in anywhere? I am applying to 17 schools.... you guys think that is enough?

I am really hoping for at least and interview so they are able to see some of my passion and how hard i've worked to get here. I cannot believe you have not been accepted :/ How did you feel about your interview? did it go well? I am really hoping I don't have to retake the DAT bc like you said I do not do well in standardized tests.

I would say you have a chance. Not a good one though. I'd say less than 50%. I have been involved in admissions and the first thing looked at are your numbers. Also even if some schools dont count the first DAT, they still see it on the app and that is very low. Your second score is also below average for as competitive as things are today. And your GPA is way below average. You should work on your GPA and get all A's but still take a chance this cycle on applications. You need to apply EVERYWHERE if you are going to try it out this cycle!

I am applying to 17 schools. Do you think that is sufficient? I try to stay away from too many public dental schools since I have a very slim chance of getting into those..

write a bomb personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
I am really hoping I don't have to retake the DAT bc like you said I do not do well in standardized tests.
You honestly might have to. It doesn't help that you did worse on your 2nd attempt. I know that the thought of even taking it again causes immense stress but I'm just being real here. I'd contact the schools you are applying to and get their input as they would know more than us.

Wow, great story. Had a similar one about 2 years ago. Got my act together, Aced my coursework, and pulled my GPA from a 3.0 to a 3.5. It was a long 2 years.

U got a ton of dental work, that has to count for something. I've been doing a lot of research on the forums and calling up schools and asking about GPA and dat scores. Seems like most schools want 19-20s on everything, however there are a few schools like AT still that are more mission based schools that will accept 18s even 17s they told me. Mission meaning you have a desire to work in underserved areas of dentistry.

That science GPA might give u some trouble tho, is there any way to boost it up to a 3.2, preferably 3.3 before ur 2nd DATs expire? That would give u a much better negotiating stance with your fabulously improved DAT score, and also strengthen your "comeback" narrative. People love a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" story, especially if you hail from humble beginnings.

I'm just starting on this dental path, so take my advice with a smige of salt. Good luck.

Well i don't think i can manage to take any other courses and pull my gpa up at this point unless I apply to a master's program but I want to do that if I do not get accepted this second time. I am really hoping they look at my story and see my involvement with the community; I did tutoring for some years, I also volunteered at a program dedicated to teach older adults who were never able to attend school how to read and write. I feel like there is more to me than grades and my DAT but I am also aware of how schools have to pick apart and search for the best applicants. Thank you for your advice! Best of luck to you!

You honestly might have to. It doesn't help that you did worse on your 2nd attempt. I know that the thought of even taking it again causes immense stress but I'm just being real here. I'd contact the schools you are applying to and get their input as they would know more than us.
I will do that. Thank you!

I don't have much advice except apply broadly to oos friendly public/private schools (like 20+) I just wanted to say I think it's awesome you almost doubled your PAT score that's crazy lol

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile

I don't have much advice except apply broadly to oos friendly public/private schools (like 20+) I just wanted to say I think it's awesome you almost doubled your PAT score that's crazy lol

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile
Than you! i appreciate your positive comment!!!! I am applying to 17 schools and praying for some interviews...

Reactions: 1 user