Applying out from Rice/Baylor Medical Scholars program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2018throwaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're in this program, can other medical schools see that you already have an acceptance to Baylor? Does that hurt your chances of getting into other schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the acceptance to Baylor and run. It's a great school with amazing research support.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't most BS/MD programs require you to go through the process of submitting an AMCAS even when you are already guaranteed a seat? If that's the case at Baylor, I don't think any other med schools can see your admit until the end of cycle, same as for everyone else. It def is normal at a lot of BS/MD programs to let people apply elsewhere too (though some do forbid this).

As above though, Baylor is a great school. Unless you have an amazing app that might land merit/recruitment $ elsewhere or have a reason you can't stay at Baylor, I'd just sit on this admit and save yourself a lot of time and money and stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't most BS/MD programs require you to go through the process of submitting an AMCAS even when you are already guaranteed a seat? If that's the case at Baylor, I don't think any other med schools can see your admit until the end of cycle, same as for everyone else. It def is normal at a lot of BS/MD programs to let people apply elsewhere too (though some do forbid this).

Echoing this - most BS/MD programs I'm familiar with don't formally accept you to the medical school until after the cycle, so there wouldn't be an acceptance for other schools to see.

However, I'm going to disagree with the other posters re: applying out - if you won't lose your seat by doing so, and there are any schools you'd rather go to, you should definitely apply and see what happens. You won't need to cast as wide a net as a typical applicant, so it's a much less stressful cycle.

Echoing this - most BS/MD programs I'm familiar with don't formally accept you to the medical school until after the cycle, so there wouldn't be an acceptance for other schools to see.

However, I'm going to disagree with the other posters re: applying out - if you won't lose your seat by doing so, and there are any schools you'd rather go to, you should definitely apply and see what happens. You won't need to cast as wide a net as a typical applicant, so it's a much less stressful cycle.
That Baylor tuition though! It's sooo low. It's a lot of time and money to apply to med school, he'd really need to either hate the Baylor location or have an app competitive enough for fat t20 merit/recruitment scholarships to do better than a Baylor seat at Baylor price.

Reactions: 1 users
That Baylor tuition though! It's sooo low. It's a lot of time and money to apply to med school, he'd really need to either hate the Baylor location or have an app competitive enough for fat t20 merit/recruitment scholarships to do better than a Baylor seat at Baylor price.

I know nothing about Baylor (not a TX fan), but I did a mini-cycle under similar circumstances when I applied, and it's not nearly as much time or money as you're implying. I'm not saying to do a full cycle - but if he has 3-5 schools he wants to try for due to any sort of preference, I'd recommend he go for it. Of course, if there aren't any schools he would prefer, then there's no reason to apply out.

I know nothing about Baylor (not a TX fan), but I did a mini-cycle under similar circumstances when I applied, and it's not nearly as much time or money as you're implying. I'm not saying to do a full cycle - but if he has 3-5 schools he wants to try for due to any sort of preference, I'd recommend he go for it. Of course, if there aren't any schools he would prefer, then there's no reason to apply out.
Even if they love writing secondary essays in their spare time, money. Unless he's filthy rich, the question isn't whether he'd prefer another place, it's whether they'd prefer another place so much that it would be worth ~30k higher debt per year. Exception being like I said if they're recruitment material and could go to a preferred place at a massive discount!

OP could just be very ambitious (Rice/Baylor is an extremely competitive program to begin with, so it's reasonable that they would select for these kinds of students). I know someone who was in a BS/MD program, applied to other schools, and eventually got into Johns Hopkins.

Definitely agree that applying to some reach schools could be worth it. OP could be offered scholarships from these programs, and end up going to a better program than Baylor at a similar cost. The price to know is the ~$1000 for applying/interviewing, and since Rice/Baylor already requires a personal statement/MCAT score, it wouldn't be too much additional effort.

Another problem I wish I had :bang:

If you lose your seat by applying out, I'd highly recommend not applying out at all. If you don't, apply anywhere you want if you have the money.