Applying this cycle before graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kind of new here but thought I get advice from some fellow Med students or students going through the same process I am.

I'm a junior trying to apply this cycle with a steady 3.45 Gpa. MCAT 34. Btw the only reason my GpA is low, it's because I moved states and Unis so my GpA didn't go with me, only my credits which is horrible Bc if my GpA were to follow me I'd have a 3.67 now but nope the new uni I'm at only accepted the credits. Basically this is my first year at this Uni w/ a 3.45 gpa don't know if that matters?.

I graduate spring 2017 with 2 minors ( Spanish, criminal Justice ) and a BA in biology. I was suppose to graduate fall but I'm trying to take my time to raise my GpA. When I graduate 2017 I'll have a GpA of 3.71 ( my grades are a upstream ) but would that matter if Im already submittiting my App this cycle with the 3.45 GpA I have ?

I have 400+ hrs of volunteering in a hospital/other fundraiser !

200+ hrs of shadowing cardiologist, trauma surgeons and ED doctors.

300+ clinical hours

Medical scribe for 2 yrs

1.5 yr member of a pre health organization in my uni, ( humitarian of the org. )

1 yr of research with one publication in route.

LOR : MD doctor , science professor , second one in route.

Also I'm 20 turning 21, female and white
( don't know if it's important but I'm the secretary of a foundation that helps children in third world countries... I.e. We send out medication and doctors out there to help cure these children. Main reason why I want to become a doctor, so I can be like the many generous doctors who go to theses countries and help save lives of unfortunate people. )

So here you have it my story. I'm in the middle and would like some advice, regarding my low GPA. I know I can raise it but not before I submit my app this year ? How would schools view 3.45 GpA and a 34 MCAT.

Please don't tell me to apply to DOs because I'm trying to shoot for a MD right now, even low tier that's alright. Any suggestions on making my app stronger ? Or schools I should look into.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you have a 65% chance of an acceptance with your stats. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Your other GPA will be counted by AMCAS since You have to submit all transcripts for every college course you have a taken. You should spend some time finding out about LORs. Two of your three are probably useless. Most schools want two from science teachers and one from a non-science teacher. Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and start researching schools. It is very helpful. Have you worked on the PS? It seems you aren't very familiar with the application process. Have you thought about taking a gap year?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Your other GPA will be counted by AMCAS since You have to submit all transcripts for every college course you have a taken. You should spend some time finding out about LORs. Two of your three are probably useless. Most schools want two from science teachers and one from a non-science teacher. Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and start researching schools. It is very helpful. Have you worked on the PS? It seems you aren't very familiar with the application process. Have you thought about taking a gap year?

Those LORS were just options because if I were to apply instate it would've made my application stronger. But I have get LORs from my science professor. ( my research professor is also one of my science professors )

Personally I don't like the idea of a gap year. But I'm trying to focus on making my application stronger as of now. I know I have a great seldom app since I've done my research but I'm still a bit confused at what you're saying ? What's wrong with my app?

What is a "great seldom app"? I see you've changed up your OP but the fact remains you don't seem to have a grasp on the whole process. Did you take the MCAT as a Freshman? It seems you did ... I didn't say there was anything wrong with your app. It's just that you only want to apply once with the best possible application. You for sure don't want to be a reapplicant. Because of what you have told us it really seems that you are applying just to be applying this year. Have you written your PS? Have you developed your list of schools? Have you started to fill out your primary application on AMCAS? You don't have your LORs in place. As @Goro always says the process is a marathon and not a sprint. Ultimately it is all up to you. But you do want to give yourself the best possible shot at an II and hopefully an acceptance!

Just because your school didn't accept the credits does not mean AMCAS will not. If you took them at an accredited university, they will be factored into your GPA

That makes me happy Bc then my GpA would be around 3.6 !

Now a GpA 3.6 and Mcat 34 is a pretty good candidate for this cycle . My GpA might be a little shaky tho.

That makes me happy Bc then my GpA would be around 3.6 !

Now a GpA 3.6 and Mcat 34 is a pretty good candidate for this cycle . My GpA might be a little shaky tho.

What state of residence are you? a 3.6 and a 34 is pretty darn good.. I am not looking at a chart but I bet that is around 75% acceptance

I'm in Nevada, studying in UNR.
Well, you are very fortunate you are a Nevada resident. Not only do you have your state medical school to apply to but there may be a 2nd state school opening up for 2017 as well as a private school for 2017 (Roseman). Definitely apply to all 3. Other schools to consider include:
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Wake Forest

Well, you are very fortunate you are a Nevada resident. Not only do you have your state medical school to apply to but there may be a 2nd state school opening up for 2017 as well as a private school for 2017 (Roseman). Definitely apply to all 3. Other schools to consider include:
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Wake Forest

Your schools are similar to my upcoming list as well. Should I not apply to California schools? NY med schools have high acceptance OOS applicants ?

Your schools are similar to my upcoming list as well. Should I not apply to California schools? NY med schools have high acceptance OOS applicants ?
Even CA residents have a difficult time gaining an acceptance to CA schools and you are not a CA resident. The NY med schools I listed are private schools and do not give any significant preference to NY residents so apply to all of them.

Even CA residents have a difficult time gaining an acceptance to CA schools and you are not a CA resident. The NY med schools I listed are private schools and do not give any significant preference to NY residents so apply to all of them.

That's true too. My dream school was in Cali but I guess that's nlt happening. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the application when in the end it is true how Californians have a rough time already. All the schools you listed are all upstate, none from the west side. So would it be harder for me to get into a med school in the west side ?

That's true too. My dream school was in Cali but I guess that's nlt happening. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the application when in the end it is true how Californians have a rough time already. All the schools you listed are all upstate, none from the west side. So would it be harder for me to get into a med school in the west side ?
The Nevada schools are where your best chances are. You have a chance for an interview at the schools I listed with your stats.

Thoughts on GPA:
- I'm not sure that AMCAS will count the grades from your other school since it's not in the US. (Assuming not from Canada either? If it's from Canada, it counts.)
- If your GPA dropped by not counting your old grades, that means you had a significant decrease in your performance when you started to attend US college, and that's not ideal either.

I still think it's worth applying though, but make a point to have stellar marks your senior year so that if you do apply again, your GPA shows an upward trend.