Applying This Cycle: How bad is it to delay MCAT to end August

Started by altitude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

altitude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am registered for the MCAT on Aug 10, but don't feel that I'll be adequately prepared. If I'm applying this cycle, how much will it hurt me to delay my MCAT to Aug 23 (score release date: Sept 25)? I feel that the extra two weeks will be a huge help for me, so is it worth it?
 
Elaborate on this, because I think LOTS of people feel this way 2 weeks out from their test date. Can you cover all the content? Have you taken practice tests? If so, are your scores close to your target score?

I'll be able to cover all the content, but with having done very minimal verbal practice and science practice passages/questions. I'd only have time for about 5 AAMCs (all within the week right before the MCAT).
 
Last edited:
if your app is already submitted or will be verified by Sep 25th, then you're still ok. If you need the time, take it
 
I'll be able to covert all the content, but with having done very minimal verbal practice and science practice passages/questions. I'd only have time for about 5 AAMCs (all within the week right before the MCAT).
I see. Here's what I would do. You have until the 27th of July to cancel your August 10th test date and still get a partial refund. Study as much as you can this week (start practicing verbal every day) and try to take an AAMC FL by the 27th. If you score significantly below your target score, reschedule. If you score around your target score, don't reschedule.

I say this because I too felt unprepared before my test date, but on my first AAMC FL I scored a 36. I know this won't happen for everyone, but my point is that you don't really know how prepared you are until you start taking AAMC FLs.

You've got your work cut out for you, but I think it's worth it to try to preserve that August 10th test date. Work hard and believe in yourself. 👍