DO Applying this cycle or taking another gap year ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdef123@

Reaction score
I am deciding whether to apply this cycle or taking another gap year. I would love to hear your inputs

I went to a community college then transferred to a 4-years university. I got 3.9s my first two years at community college and 3.7s my first year at a 4-years university. During my last year of college, my father got into a car accident, and I became his primary caretaker. I failed a class and got two Cs during one semester of that year and that semester brought my GPA down significantly. I did a little better the semester after but ended up having 2.8 for that year. After college, I pursued a non-science Master and got a 3.5 in that program. I realized that medicine is truly my passion, and decided to come back to finish the rest of my prereps. Due to financial reasons (mainly debt from graduate school and the only income in my family), I did a DIY post-bac at a community college and took two classes at an Extension of a 4-years college. I took a total of 31 units and my post-bac GPA is 4.0. Right now, I have a bell-shaped trend for my GPA. I have been saving up and might be able to take some upper division classes during summer at a 4-years university. Given my situation, would you recommend me to apply this cycle or wait until I take extra upper division classes at a 4-years university ?

oGPA: 3.54, sGPA: 3.47 MCAT: 506 ORM California
Clinical experience: 4000 hours (working as a medical assistant, patient tech, etc.)
Clinical volunteering: 75 hours (hospital + private clinic volunteering)
Non-clinical experience: 1000 hours+ (camp counselor, food services, etc.)
Non-clinical volunteering: 800 hours (tutoring, food bank, etc.)
Research: 50 hours
Shadowing: 75 hours ( primary care DO + MD)

Due to the cost of applying, I would like to apply when I have a decent chance of getting in. If I end up applying this cycle, I am aiming for (25) DO schools and (15) MD schools. Please also help me with the school list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
You could try these MD schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
NOVA MD
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
I think you’re looking pretty solid for DO schools. MD is going to be challenging, but try your hand at it. Your activities are exceptional.

Reactions: 1 user