Applying this cycle...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woody1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied this cycle, I sent everything the first week of june, except DAT scores since I was taking the DAT on July.
My overall GPA is 3.1 and science 3.0.
I have over 100 hours of shadowing a general dentist and an endodontist as well extra community service.
I scored well on the DAT
AA 20
PAT 16
QR 17
RC 20
Bio 23
Chem 21
Ochem 18
Science Avg 21
I also applied to 10 schools. (LECOM, UF, nova, NC, Tennessee, West Virginia, Stony Brook, Meharry, UConn, NYU)

I feel good about my DAT scores but nervous about my GPA, I still haven't graduated I need two more semesters so hopefully I can still bring it up a bit. Any advice? Do I have a chance this cycle? my top school is lecom.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be difficult to get lots of interviews with your GPAs, but you might get a few. I can't really say for sure.

Your RC and BIO scores are pretty good, but the low PAT might not make some cutoffs at schools. You should consider calling schools to check if it meets their cutoff.

I've got the same PAT as you lol. Your GPAs are low unfortunately. :(. Your DAT scores are decent but not amazing compared to the average accepted person. Maybe you can apply to BU and Tufts also? I wish you the best of luck this cycle. If things don't work out maybe a postbacc is in order... I fear needing a postbacc too though in all honesty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Yea 'Im on the same boat, I really don't want to do a postbacc, and hoping to get in this cycle. I was thinking of applying to BU.

what state resident are you? and when did you apply?

Florida, and I sent my application the first week of June, I've received supplemental from several schools, but that's pretty much it, but my official DAT scores didn't upload until last week, so I'm just being patient and waiting.

more than likely you will need to do a postbac. your gpa is on the low end, and your dat is not even that good because there is a 16 pat on there. there is nothing on your application that stick out. with your stats, why are you even applying to oos public schools?

Florida, and I sent my application the first week of June, I've received supplemental from several schools, but that's pretty much it, but my official DAT scores didn't upload until last week, so I'm just being patient and waiting.
Still waiting on dang letters ;(

more than likely you will need to do a postbac. your gpa is on the low end, and your dat is not even that good because there is a 16 pat on there. there is nothing on your application that stick out. with your stats, why are you even applying to oos public schools?
I understand what you were trying to communicate here, but it honestly sounded pretty rude. I hope you don't talk to people like that in real life... might hurt your chances when you interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand what you were trying to communicate here, but it honestly sounded pretty rude. I hope you don't talk to people like that in real life... might hurt your chances when you interview.

obviously i don't talk like this in real life. i tend to be more honest and straight forward on here because it anonymous. this person literally just threw money away by applying to schools that he/she doesn't have a chance. it like he just randomly pick schools he applied to without doing any research. ex. Tennessee stats for 2014. sgpa 3.51 ogpa 3.58 19.3aa 20 pat 19ts. out of 1000+ oos applicants they only interview 150. why even waste money applying here when your stats are way below their avg, and worst he is applying as an oos. his chance here is slim to none. if he actually research schools that are around his avg, he would of at least put in une to give him a fighting chance.

unc, wv, stony brook are very oos friendly.

meharry is a majority black school, so if he not a minority, his chance there is slim. if he is a minority, he should of added howard too.

that 5 schools that he applying to that likely offer low return on investment.

Last edited:
obviously i don't talk like this in real life. i tend to be more honest and straight forward on here because it anonymous. this person literally just threw money away by applying to schools that he/she doesn't have a chance. it like he just randomly pick schools he applied to without doing any research. ex. Tennessee stats for 2014. sgpa 3.51 ogpa 3.58 19.3aa 20 pat 19ts. out of 1000+ oos applicants they only interview 150. why even waste money applying here when your stats are way below their avg, and worst he is applying as an oos. his chance here is slim to none. if he actually research schools that are around his avg, he would of at least put in une to give me a fighting chance.
While I agree with you, that wasn't my point.

If you already sent your AADSAS, I'd sit tight and see if you get interview invites. If you don't hear back by December, I'd sign up for a postbac program. Your DAT is fine

Op might not need postbacc. He still got the fall and spring semester to bring both his gpa up a little.

Op might not need postbacc. He still got the fall and spring semester to bring both his gpa up a little.
Good critical reading skills. I totally missed that part! OP can theoretically bring his oGPA up to a 3.2-3.3 which is much more acceptable than a 3.1

OP, can you stay for a 5th year to improve your GPA or are your units maxed out?

I thought Nova has a minimum requirement of like 3.20 or 3.25? Correct me if I'm wrong
Yea , I've heard that, but I know personally, people who have gotten in with lower GPA's. So I guess in some cases it just depends if your application sticks out from the rest.

Good critical reading skills. I totally missed that part! OP can theoretically bring his oGPA up to a 3.2-3.3 which is much more acceptable than a 3.1

OP, can you stay for a 5th year to improve your GPA or are your units maxed out?

Yea, I could definitely do an extra semester or two. But I'm just trying to see if I get in this cycle. If I don't then I will look at the different paths that I could take in order to enhance my application for a future cycle, but as of right now, no rejection letters yet lol so i'm still playing the waiting game.

obviously i don't talk like this in real life. i tend to be more honest and straight forward on here because it anonymous. this person literally just threw money away by applying to schools that he/she doesn't have a chance. it like he just randomly pick schools he applied to without doing any research. ex. Tennessee stats for 2014. sgpa 3.51 ogpa 3.58 19.3aa 20 pat 19ts. out of 1000+ oos applicants they only interview 150. why even waste money applying here when your stats are way below their avg, and worst he is applying as an oos. his chance here is slim to none. if he actually research schools that are around his avg, he would of at least put in une to give him a fighting chance.

unc, wv, stony brook are very oos friendly.

meharry is a majority black school, so if he not a minority, his chance there is slim. if he is a minority, he should of added howard too.

that 5 schools that he applying to that likely offer low return on investment.

Thanks for your advice!
Although we may look at things differently, I understand your point. As I mentioned in the posts below, I still have not graduated and taking a fifth year wouldn't exactly be the end of my dream or crush my motivation to keep on going. As a triathlete, I understand that sometimes we may prepare for a special event in our lives and sometimes things may not go as expected, and failure and things not going our way is a part of life. If I don't get in this cycle, I will look at my options and see what I could do to enhance my application. Take extra classes, retake the DAT if needed, etc. IF I don't get in, I would never consider it a waste of money, so although you may have mentioned the money issue a couple of times in your post lol I knew applying to dental school was going to be costly, but that's a risk we all take when we apply to dental, medical, vet school etc. and I would never regret it. But as of right now the cycle is still going on, and no rejection letters yet, so my best thing to do is to just sit tight, stay positive, and focus on my upcoming semester.

Reactions: 2 users